Helpful
Replies

where are the ints?

mkhadr
Level 1
Level 1

All,

Weird thing. I downloaded a new image on a 3640 c3640-ik2s-mz.121-27b.bin

To config IPSec. Guess what? I rebooted with this image, and Wow, there are NO any interfaces showing. NONE. All gone. Here?s a sh run:

Current configuration : 301 bytes

!

version 12.1

no service single-slot-reload-enable

service timestamps debug uptime

service timestamps log uptime

no service password-encryption

no service dhcp

!

hostname Router

!

!

!

!

!

!

ip subnet-zero

!

!

!

!

!

ip classless

no ip http server

!

!

!

line con 0

line aux 0

line vty 0 4

!

end

Router#

have anybody ever see something like this? I just bought this box as a lab router, and I never saw anything like this.

What went wrong? any body have a clue/

Thx.

9 Replies 9

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Are you sure that you saved your configuration, and please what is the current config-reg value, and what are the interfaces installed in the router, please post a show version.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Mohamed,

I config the router to rebbot from thsi image, then I reboot it. comes back showing no interfaces what so ever. gone.

I bought this router with 2 fa ints,& 2 serial wics.

Here's a sh ver:

Router#sh ver

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) 3600 Software (C3640-IK2S-M), Version 12.1(27b), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Wed 17-Aug-05 02:07 by pwade

Image text-base: 0x60008940, data-base: 0x60F06000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(20)AA2, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (f

c1)

Router uptime is 0 minutes

System returned to ROM by power-on

System image file is "flash:c3640-ik2s-mz.121-27b.bin"

cisco 3640 (R4700) processor (revision 0x00) with 94208K/4096K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID 19738747

R4700 CPU at 100Mhz, Implementation 33, Rev 1.0

Bridging software.

X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity disabled.

125K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2142

Router#

Hi,

Please try changing config-reg to 0x2102 and reload the router.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Mohamed

There is an issue with the config register:

Configuration register is 0x2142

the 2142 tells the router to boot and to ignore the config in NVRAM. You should change it to 0x2102.

But I do not think that this is the biggest problem. Notice that the config shows no interfaces and the show version does not mention any interfaces. It might be good to power down the router, remove and reseat all teh interface cards, and power up to see if it was a physical connectivity issue. But I am not sure that is it either. My guess is that the image that you are running does not support the cards that are in the router. What interface cards are in the router? What image were you running before you did the upgrade?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

I reseated the ints. & rebooted. Same deal. That new image just does not see any ints.Not even fa. I forgot the old image. I think it was like some 12.4, was just ip + image. I changed the config reg, same deal, no ints showing. And I don't know how am going to put a new or any IOS image now that I can only console into the router.

Hi

Can you try loading your router with general 12.3 code with ip base feature set ???

As per the show version output which you have pasted its showing that you are using 12.1(27x).

I would suggest to try checking out with some GD version of 12.3.

For loading the ios back onto your box do check this link..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a008009433b.shtml

regds

Mohamed

I do not know why this image does not recognize your interfaces but I believe that your recovery from the problem will require loading a different image. It may be that if you can boot the router into rommon that it will recognize the interfaces again and then you might be able to use tftpdnld to load a different image. If tftpdnld does not work then the alternative is probably xmodem transfer through the console. It is quite slow but should work.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

I down loaded a new Basic IP image using xmodom.

here is what I got

rommon 2 > dir flash:

File size Checksum File name

5138800 bytes (0x4e6970) 0x9bc9 c3640-i-mz.121-27b.bin (bad checksum: 0x80fb)

Any ideas ?? DO I need to erase & start over>

Thx in advance.

mohAmed

rommon 3 >

Mohamed

the bad checksum error message indicates that this image will not work. I believe that you do need to erase and start over. The first image that created the problem was 12.1(27) and so is this one (with a difference in feature set). I would suggest a different (more recent) version of code.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card