Views
Helpful
Replies

EtherChannels

cisco-pix
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I just want to confirm I have configured my network right:

I have 2 sites, A and B. Each has a 3560G and using 2 ports on each switch, I have trunked them and created an EtherChannel.

on A:

int range gi0/1 - 2

switchport trunk encap dot1q

switchport mode trunk

channel-group 1 mode auto

and the same on B:

int range gi0/1 - 2

switchport trunk encap dot1q

switchport mode trunk

channel-group 1 mode auto

What I really want to check, is it correct to set the channel-group number as the same value on both sets of ports on both sides?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

bjw
Level 4
Level 4

channel-group numbers are only significant on the local switch. They do not need to match across switches. And can be set to the same value without affect.

Also note that in Pagp, if both sides of the etherchannel are in AUTO, it won't work. If one side is in Auto, the other needs to be in DESIRABLE. Or you could put both sides to mode ON.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

bjw
Level 4
Level 4

channel-group numbers are only significant on the local switch. They do not need to match across switches. And can be set to the same value without affect.

Also note that in Pagp, if both sides of the etherchannel are in AUTO, it won't work. If one side is in Auto, the other needs to be in DESIRABLE. Or you could put both sides to mode ON.

Hi,

Using auto PAgP on both switches prevents the PortChannel from forming dynamically. You should use desirable mode on one of them.

[edit] Sorry Bill didn't see your reply.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card