cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Firewall or Router for VPN

wrwiii122
Level 1
Level 1

Is it better to use a firewall like a PIX515E or a router like a 1721 for setting up a VPN?

6 Replies 6

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

What kinda VPN you are talking about ? is it a point to point vpn between 2 sites or gonna be used by remote vpn clients ?

If its a simple point to point vpn between 2 clients then you can go ahead with Cisco 1721 which can handle the same..

But if its gonna be more than one site with that if you are more concerned in your security aspects then go with PIX aplliances.

Otherwise you can settled down with even a higher end router which can solve your purpose..

regds

The PIX will probably handle the traffic load better - meaning encryption load.

Also take into account what your NAT policies are for this vpn connection and where you perform NAT already. That might affect your decision as well.

Sorry I didn't specify. I am refering to client VPN. Is a router or firewall better to use and why one over the other.

Anyone???

Good question.

I would be inclined to lean towards a firewall or the ASA.

Given they are built for it first and foremost.

Thats what I thought too but someone I know is saying that a router is a better way to go because it has more features for VPN than a firewall. That's why Im trying to figure this one out and ask the pros. It is a good question.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: