cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Syslog to SNMP

rromashko
Level 1
Level 1

There are CA Unicenter and Cisco LMS. I want to receive events reports from LMS on Unicenter. Unicenter doesn`t support syslog, it supports snmp.

Can I convert some syslog messages to snmp traps and send it to Unicenter?

5 Replies 5

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

LMS won't forward syslog messages to another NMS server, it can only forward syslogs froma remote collector to a central LMS server.

It cannot convert these syslog messages to snmp traps for forwarding.

DFM can forward snmp traps, but these do not come in as syslog messages.

thanks for you answer!

Do you know how LMS integrated into CA Unicenter at all?

There is an integration utility for CA Unicenter with LMS. It comes as part of the Common Services install or you can download it on CCO under CiscoView software -- Integration Utility

Integration Utility 1.6 supports the following

Here

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps3996/products_user_guide_chapter09186a008036e125.html

is an infirmation I read:

Network Management Systems (NMS) for integrating CiscoWorks applications with them.

?HP Network Node Manager 6.4.

?HP Network Node Manager 7.0.

?HP Network Node Manager 7.0.1.

?NetView 7.1.

Does it mean that CA Unicenter isn`t supported?

You can convert DFM events into syslog events and forward them to an external syslog server.

This is done under DFM Notification Services by creating a new Notification Group with the devices you want to monitor. Then go under the Syslog Notification tab and add a subscription name, the Notification Group you just created, select the syslog facility(you may need to check the facility CA will accept), and a location name. Select next, and the next screen will allow you to specify the syslog server IP address and the syslog port(CA in your case?). I have successfully been able to send DFM data via syslog using this method. Syslog format may vary depending on the facility specified in the creation steps but can be edited.

Hope this helps you out,

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: