cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring Dynamic DNS addresses over DSL with Cisco 851

erik
Level 1
Level 1

First off I should mention that I'm fairly new to configuring Cisco routers. I recently setup a Cisco 851 at my small business. We use an ADSL internet connection. During setup, I had to manually enter the IP's of my ISP's (SBC) DNS servers. What happens if they change? With the less expensive Linksys products, the router automatically obtains the DNS addresses when it obtains the IP address. Can the Cisco 851 be configured to do the same?

We're a small business with only 10 employees. They all rely on me to keep the network up and running even though I'm not trully an IT guy. I'm trying to make the network as self sufficient as possible for those days that I'm out of the office. Thank you in advance!

2 Replies 2

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First of all, no need to the apprehensive about asking here. It's a community where everyone has began somewhere, and questions are welcome. The only requirement is that you are willing to read some documents that explain how the things works and how to configure them.

Now for the DNS thing, if I remember correctly, SBC uses PPPoE so that the addresses are passed automatically. If you remove the DNS definition from the DHCP pool, router should use what has learn from PPP and pass to DHCP clients.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, SBC does use PPPoE. I will try your suggestion and post back if it works.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card