cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RME 4.x: Config Archive issues

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Just noticed a never-before-seen error "CM0012: Unable to create new version on archive $1 Action: Check if disk space is available and directory has required permissions" reported for a few devices' VLAN collections. There're plenty of disk space. Permissions look fine in shadow:

/var/adm/CSCOpx/files/rme/dcma/shadow/Routers/VLAN

drwxrwx--- 2 casuser casusers 96 Jun 29 02:07 VLAN

Directories in /var/adm/CSCOpx/files/rme/dcma/devfiles all have the same permisions:

drwxr-x--- 4 casuser casusers

Looked at the permissions on the VLAN directory of one of the devices reported, it's ok too:

drwxr-x--- 3 casuser casusers 96 Apr 26 15:30 VLAN

A second issue is RME seems to have problems of refused sessions against certain devices, mostly when fetching running-configs, and in one rarely instance when getting VLAN data, but *never* with startup-configs:

1. rtr2 PRIMARY STARTUP Jun 29 2007 02:07:35 Successful

2. rtr2 PRIMARY RUNNING Jun 29 2007 10:18:45 Failed to detect SSH version running on the device. TELNET: Failed to establish TELNET connection to xx.xxx.xx.xxx - Cause: connect timed out. PRIMARY-RUNNING config Fetch Operation failed for TFTP. Failed to fetch config using SCP.connect timed out Increase Telnet Timeout in RME Device Attributes and try again.

3. rtr2 VLAN RUNNING Jun 29 2007 10:19:27 Successful

43. rtr1 PRIMARY STARTUP Jun 29 2007 03:22:36 Successful

44. rtr1 VLAN RUNNING Jun 29 2007 03:23:02 SSH: Failed to establish SSH connection to xx.xx.xx.xx - Cause: Connection refused. TELNET: Failed to establish TELNET connection to xx.xx.xx.xx - Cause: Connection refused. VLAN Config fetch is not supported using TFTP.VLAN Config fetch is not supported using SCP.

45. rtr1 PRIMARY RUNNING Jun 29 2007 03:23:01 Successful

Are startup-configs retrieved using a different mechanism? Is RME not terminating the startup-config retrieval session before going for the running-config, given the limited number of vty lines configured on each device?

19 Replies 19

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The first problem is related to CSCsh39475. A patch for this is available on Cisco.com under the RME Software Center section.

This connection refused problem could be an issue with you running out of available VTY lines on these devices. All sessions should be properly terminated in LMS 2.6. You will need to look at a show users from the console to see who is occupying these lines.

Actually, there is one of my bugs that was still not fixed in RME 4.0.5. If you are using SCP, those sessions can remain open for a while after the config fetch is done. A patch for CSCsg48261 is available by calling the TAC. This is fixed in LMS 3.0.

Wait, but I applied rme4.0.5-sol-CSCsh394751.0.tar as a preventive measure weeks ago. I do admit I didn't bother further with the two scripts since 1) I encountered an identical error trying to execute either of them; 2) they seemed to deal with existing symptoms that I wasn't seeing:

RemoveMismatchPrimaryConfigurations_Script.tar

RemoveMismatchVLANConfigurations_Script.tar

I will post up the error text later.

Try running the scripts now, and see if that takes care of the problem with the affected devices.

Do you think flaky TACACS could be causing the following?

Failed devices under Config Archive

1. catos-switch PRIMARY RUNNING Jul 02 2007 02:44:26 CM0002: Could not archive config Cause: Device may not be reachable, may be in suspended state or credentials may be incorrect. Action: Verify that device is managed, credentials are correct and file system has correct permissions. Increase timeout value, if required.

40. rtr2ios PRIMARY STARTUP Jul 02 2007 02:02:46 SSH: Failed to establish SSH connection to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - Cause: Connection refused. TELNET: Failed to establish TELNET connection to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - Cause: Connection refused. PRIMARY-STARTUP config Fetch Operation failed for TFTP. Failed to fetch config using SCP.Connection refused Verify SCP is enabled or not.

41. rtr2ios PRIMARY RUNNING Jul 02 2007 02:02:48 SSH: Failed to establish SSH connection to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - Cause: Connection refused. TELNET: Failed to establish TELNET connection to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - Cause: Connection refused. PRIMARY-RUNNING config Fetch Operation failed for TFTP. Failed to fetch config using SCP.Connection refused Verify SCP is enabled or not.

42. rtr2ios VLAN RUNNING Jul 02 2007 02:02:49 SSH: Failed to establish SSH connection to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - Cause: Connection refused. TELNET: Failed to establish TELNET connection to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - Cause: Connection refused. VLAN Config fetch is not supported using TFTP.VLAN Config fetch is not supported using SCP.

52. rtr3ios PRIMARY STARTUP Jul 02 2007 02:07:13 SSH: Failed to establish SSH connection to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - Cause: Connection refused. TELNET: Failed to establish TELNET connection to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - Cause: Connection refused. PRIMARY-STARTUP config Fetch Operation failed for TFTP. Failed to fetch config using SCP.(truncated MOTD banner)

53. rtr3ios PRIMARY RUNNING Jul 02 2007 02:07:19 SSH: Failed to establish SSH connection to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - Cause: Connection refused. TELNET: Failed to establish TELNET connection to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - Cause: Connection refused. PRIMARY-RUNNING config Fetch Operation failed for TFTP. Failed to fetch config using SCP.SSH2 Connection terminated Verify SCP is enabled or not.

54. rtr3ios VLAN RUNNING Jul 02 2007 02:07:20 SSH: Failed to establish SSH connection to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - Cause: Connection refused. TELNET: Failed to establish TELNET connection to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - Cause: Connection refused. VLAN Config fetch is not supported using TFTP.VLAN Config fetch is not supported using SCP.

I would need to see a full debug to know exactly why these fetches are failing. What protocol should be used to fetch these configs?

Every thing is configured to try the following protocols in order: ssh/telnet/tftp/scp. Would that be the debug of ArchiveMgmt Archive Client but not the Archive Server that's needed?

EXACTLY what protocol should succeed for these devices? The only log of interest here will be dcmaservice.log with ArchiveMgmt Service debugging enabled.

All four should, but that's not the reality due to a variety of outstanding issues.

No, one and only one protocol should succeed for each failing devices. Since SSH is first, should that be the one that should work for these? Since DCMA is reporting that the telnet connection is refused, I'm guessing telnet will never work for these devices. This is important as it will help focus the troubleshooting.

I know that. But SSH was refused first, then telnet was tried and refused too, and so on, when ALL four should work when tried (and if supported by ArchiveMgmt). I've seen some of these protocols used successfully (see my first post in this thread) one day, failed on the next, then failed in some other combination on the third day. That's the question mark there. CSCsg48261 could be one explanation, but I hadn't seen anything like this before, until ACS started acting flaky probably starting as early as a month ago.

Okay, if SSH should be the primary protocol, and it's being refused, then it's either no longer configured, or the VTY lines have been exhausted. Have you confirmed that the problem is the VTY exhaustion (i.e. using show users)? If so, is the CiscoWorks server the offending IP, and what port is being used?

For the two sample devices I posted about above, I did just find out the vty lines were full (my interactive session had the last spot). The other users apparently have stayed on for months, which I find strange, because the devices do have "exec-timeout ## 0" after "line vty 0 #".

So these are real users, and not LMS?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: