cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4506 Insufficient power available for current chassis configuration!

aramos17428
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to install 2 new power supplies for a Cisco 4506. The part number of the PS reads 4200ACV. The switch has (4) 48 port POE blades, one routing module and one supervisor engine. I keep getting this message and non on the blades are available as looks like i dont have sufficient power. is this correct or do I have to do something with the switch so it can see the power supplies.

I have include my show enviromen.

Switch#sh environment

no alarm

Chassis Temperature = 35 degrees Celsius

Chassis Over Temperature Threshold = 75 degrees Celsius

Chassis Critical Temperature Threshold = 95 degrees Celsius

Power Fan Inline

Supply Model No Type Status Sensor Status

------ ---------------- --------- ----------- ------- -------

PS1 Unknown Type Unknown bad/off bad/off n.a.

PS2 Unknown Type Unknown bad/off bad/off n.a.

Power supplies needed by system : 1

Power supplies currently available : 0

*** Insufficient power supplies present for specified configuration ***

Chassis Type : WS-C4506

Power consumed by backplane : 0 Watts

Supervisor Led Color : Red

Module 1 Status Led Color : Red

Module 2 Status Led Color : Red

Module 4 Status Led Color : Red

Module 5 Status Led Color : Red

Module 6 Status Led Color : Red

Fantray : Good

Power consumed by Fantray : 50 Watts

Switch#

Thanks

Armando

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It sounds like you don't have the correct power supply for that unit. The chassis can't even display the model number on its config.

You don't have to do anything special, it's plug and play.

Contact the reseller and make sure they sent you the correct part number.

If you have the invoice or the box it came in, it should indicate the Cisco part number. 4200ACV is not a complete part number.

Edit: I did a quick search and found the correct part number (PWR-C45-4200ACV) and it belongs to the Cisco 4500 line so you should be fine. Perhaps they are defective or you don't have enough power from the source (110 or 220v) ?

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It sounds like you don't have the correct power supply for that unit. The chassis can't even display the model number on its config.

You don't have to do anything special, it's plug and play.

Contact the reseller and make sure they sent you the correct part number.

If you have the invoice or the box it came in, it should indicate the Cisco part number. 4200ACV is not a complete part number.

Edit: I did a quick search and found the correct part number (PWR-C45-4200ACV) and it belongs to the Cisco 4500 line so you should be fine. Perhaps they are defective or you don't have enough power from the source (110 or 220v) ?

Edison,

Thanks for the reply. Both UPS show status as green. let me check that I'm getting the required power even if all LEDs status are GREEN

PS 1

Input 1 OK

Input 2 OK

PS2

Input 1 OK

Input 2 OK

Wierd, it can even see the power supplies.

Thanks

Armando

Let's see a show ver.

Show version included.

I believe the required IOS is 12.2.5 or higher, however, It could be that I need a later release. I can't seem to find software for the 4506 chassis in the IOS switch download software.

Switch#sh ver

Cisco IOS Software, Catalyst 4000 L3 Switch Software (cat4000-I5S-M), Version 12.2(25)EW, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Fri 10-Dec-04 14:00 by kellythw

ROM: 12.1(20r)EW1

Dagobah Revision 95, Swamp Revision 28

Switch uptime is 0 minutes

System returned to ROM by power-on

System image file is "bootflash:cat4000-i5s-mz.122-25.EW.bin"

cisco WS-C4506 (MPC8245) processor (revision 7) with 524288K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID FOX083004WJ

MPC8245 CPU at 333Mhz, Supervisor IV

Last reset from PowerUp

1 Virtual Ethernet interface

2 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces

403K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

Configuration register is 0x2102

Go to

http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/sw-center/

and click on the following links:

Cisco IOS Software

Cisco IOS 12.2

Download Cisco IOS 12.2 Sofware

CAT4500 Sup4

12.2.37 is the current one.

Typically you won't get full rated power out of the PSU unless you're running 220v. I have seen this on 6500 series chassis before. PSU couldn't fully power chassis unless drawing power via 220v.

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

From

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/products_data_sheet09186a00801f3dd9.html

CISCO CATALYST 4500 SERIES DUAL INPUT 4200W POWER SUPPLY

Combined Mode Power Resiliency is an extension of the traditional combined mode power supply behavior; it is only applicable to the 4200W power supply. Each 4200W power supply contains two smaller power supplies (called a sub-unit). In Combined Mode Power Resiliency the system only relies on power from three out of four power supply sub-units. When using 200V AC, this feature ensures that 5500W of power is available while the switch is protected against a single input power failure or sub-unit component failure. When using four 110V AC, Combined Mode Power Resiliency provides up to 2,728 Watts.

thanks for all your responses.

After doing the upgrade the Power supplies were recognized and all the modules started to provide POE as documented

Thanks Edison

ARamos

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: