cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Questions about Unified Communications Mgr 6.0 Business Edition

olighec
Level 1
Level 1

We currently run a Cisco Callmanager Express/Cisco Unity express system licensed for 48 phones, and are looking at upgrading to Cisco Unified Comms Manager 6.0 Business Edition. I have a few questions that I had hoped you knew the answers to:

1) We are bringing on a new remote office. Will we be able to use our current CME license as a SRST for the remote office provided we buy the same router (2821)?

2) Would we be able to use our current NM-CUE as a remote voicemail system for the remote office users with VPIM?

3) The remote office is in another state. Would we be able to configure dial plans so that local calls from that office utilize the FXO ports in the remote office router instead of going across the tunnel to the main office and using our PRI?

4) Does the Unified Comms Mgr 6.0 Bus. Ed. run on a Linux-based operating system or a Windows-based operating system?

Please let me know if I haven't provided enough information.

Thanks,

Chris

14 Replies 14

ouhakheme
Level 3
Level 3

1) Yes, CCME and SRST pricing and the same and interchangeable, no worries.

2) Yes, UC2.0 supports VPIM with other UC servers Full Unity and CUE

3) Definitely, toll avoidance is not a problem.

4) It runs on a hardened Linux based platform. You have no access to the system. You do not need to know Linux. It is all still webpage driven. Think of it as an appliance now, not a server.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Great to hear! I actually have quite a bit of Linux experience, but hearing that is is more of an appliance is nice.

Ah, well in case you didn't; I didn't want to scare you. It worries most people.

Glad I could help!

Thanks for the help!

I have one more question that I hope someone can answer:

We have 16 phones, all with CME licenses. Do I need to purchase additional licenses to use the phones with the CUCM6-BE system? The bundle comes with 50 "seats". Are these all that are required to properly license the phones?

Thanks,

Chris

You dont need to. Call Cisco Customer service and tell them about your original Cisco SO number (proof of purchase for your CME licenses) and have them assign you equivalent DLUs to use with CUCM6-BE.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Great, thanks! I will do that.

Bringing this thread back up:

One more question. When I buy new phones, do I have to purchase additional licenses or are they covered by the "50 seats" as long as I don't exceed that number?

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

You will need to purchase new DLU's (Device License Units) for new phones. The 50 seat License is related to the number of users and DLU's are required for phones. This DLU License would be the one like the conversion Licenses (from CME Phones) Sankar referred to. Different phone models require different numbers of DLU's;

Device licenses are required for Cisco devices and for third-party devices, with the flexibility to replace third-party devices with Cisco devices. Device licenses are sold in increments of device-license units (DLU's). Device-license units are assigned to each device connected to Cisco Unified CallManager 5.0. Each device is assigned a unit number based on the type and capabilities of the device. Devices with more complex and high-end capabilities are assigned a higher number of units compared to devices with basic capabilities,

Here is the DLU breakdown;

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7902G = 1

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7905G = 2

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7911G = 3

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7912G = 3

Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7920 (no battery) = 4

Cisco Unified IP Conference Station 7936 = 3

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7940G = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7941G = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7941G-GE = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7960G = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7961G = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7961G-GE = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7970G = 5

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7971G = 5

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7985G = 6

Third-party SIP device (basic) = 3 (third-party)

Third-party SIP device (advanced) = 6 (third-party

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_qanda_item0900aecd805009fc.shtml

Here is another excellent doc;

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/765/tools/quickreference/ipphones.pdf

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know!

Hi Sankar

I saw this response you made regarding a question about cme licenses transferring to device license units and wonder if you could provide a link to this ?

I recently queried our cisco account manager regarding the same subject whether I could transfer cme phone licenses to the equivalent device license units for CUCM6-BE and he informed me that it was not possible.

A little confused.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Mark,

I will try to fill Sankars rather large shoes here :)

Your investment in CME phones will be protected;

Q. I have a Cisco Unified CallManager Express (CME) customer who wishes to upgrade to Cisco Unified CallManager 5.1. What steps do I need to follow to ensure the licensing transfers?

A. Do the following:

1. Determine how many and what type of devices are on the customer's Cisco Unified CME.

2. Enter the quantity of each device in the "yellow" cell in the Cisco Unified CallManager Device License Unit Calculator pasted at the end of this document.

3. Contact licensing@cisco.com with the MAC address of the publisher and the number of device license units calculated in step 2. The customer does not need a node license-it comes with the new Cisco Unified CallManager.

From this excellent licensing doc;

Cisco Unified CallManager Licensing

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_qanda_item0900aecd805a7062.shtml

Here is the DLU breakdown;

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7902G = 1

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7905G = 2

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7911G = 3

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7912G = 3

Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7920 (no battery) = 4

Cisco Unified IP Conference Station 7936 = 3

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7940G = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7941G = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7941G-GE = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7960G = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7961G = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7961G-GE = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7970G = 5

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7971G = 5

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7985G = 6

Third-party SIP device (basic) = 3 (third-party)

Third-party SIP device (advanced) = 6 (third-party

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_qanda_item0900aecd805009fc.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks Rob

Does this also apply to cucm 6 - business edition ?

And the device license calculator does not seem to exist at the end of that document.

"2. Enter the quantity of each device in the "yellow" cell in the Cisco Unified CallManager Device License Unit Calculator pasted at the end of this document."

Thanks in advance

Hi Mark,

This will apply to CCM6 - Business Edition as well :) Your investment in IP Phones will always carry through.

My bad on the Device License Unit Calculator :( I see it is not there any more, go figure. We will have to pull out the calculator to figure this out now.

Example:

20x7940x4DLU per device = 80 DLU

12x7970x5DLU per device = 60 DLU

You will receive credit for 140 DLU

Hope my math is OK :)

Rob

All good....

and the math ;)

Thanks for that rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: