Views
Helpful
Replies

Link PBX systems with routers

smart
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am a newer in VoIP. I d like to connect a Hipath 3350 PBX to an Alcatel 4400 PBX using Cisco routers (as 1760, 2801 or 2811).

What are hardware and sorftware requiements for Cisco equipements to establish communication. I use only digital phones, no IP-phones.

Thanks a lot.

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What interfaces do the PBX's have ? Best would be ISDN PRI or BRI.

You can do the interconnection using any of the model you mentioned (the 1760 is not in production anymore), with interface and number of codecs depending on the question above.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Thanks for u.

The interface is E1 for PBXs, with QSIG ?

I want to make less 10 simultaneous calls. What WIC, VIC or VWIC modules and codecs should be used ?

Thanks.

Let's say for simplicity you go with the 2801. There is something called "2801 voice bundle" that will give you both the voice IOS, and a DSP module (PVDM2-8) good for 8 calls. If you need have 10 calls, order the upgrade that will give you PVDM2-16 instead.

Then for each router you need a module that is either VWIC-1MFT-E1 (older) or the newer VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 (newer, but both would work)

Check the PBX physical interface in case there is some cable that should be ordered from cisco (unlikely).

Your reseller should know all these things, if he does not, is not a good reseller.

With all the above you can support QSIG no problems. There are documents to facilitate the configuration for both routers and PBX. Once you have the routers on network and pinging each other, come back and we go from there.

littledavewhite
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Just to add to the previous info, you may need to use a feature called transparent common channel signalling, to connect the two PABX together. I have used it before to connect two sites together across IP when the end systems did not support IP only dpnss in the uk

Dears,

What is the configuration needed to enable the Lucent (Definity) PBX to connect to cisco 3825 router- using E1 controller-.

I mean what is the E1 channels, singlaling etc...

Hi,

Do you have ISDN PRI on the PBX ?

This is a configuration guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008020ece6.html

Remember to make the cable correctly and not use any spare ethernet cable without recrimping, else it won't work.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: