cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO 1841 PASSWORD PROBLEM

jvr_infotech
Level 1
Level 1

i Have given secret password and when i login it is not asking secret password . it directly going to # mode

7 Replies 7

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

mostly u would hav set the privilege level 15 in the line vty 0 4, juz remove that line in the telnet interface ur probz is solved.

Probably the most common explanation is as Anand says that privilege-level 15 has been configured on the vty lines. I have also seen this situation when the router was configured with aaa authentication and authorization and the user ID was configured for level 15 access. If we could see the configuration we would more likely know the best explanation.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

hi friends ,

Thanks for your reply ..

actually my telnet is not a problem .my problem is with secret password...i am getting that telnet pwd but my problem is with secret it is 1841 router.

Please post the complete configuration of the vty lines so that we can see whether the problem is what we have already described or is something else.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for replying

line vty 5 15

privilege level 15

login local

transport input telnet

This is my telnet configuration.

see i wll explain clearly , it is 1841 router in which i configured telnet password and secret password . when i telnet that router it asking telnet pwd , when i give it , it directly going to # mode . it is not asking secret password

And the reason for that is this line in the config:

privilege level 15

This tells the IOS that when anyone successfully logs in on these lines to put them directly into level 15 (privilege or enable mode) without prompting for any additional passwords. If you remove this line then you will be prompted for the enable password.

This is indeed the issue that was mentioned in 2 posts in this thread.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

line vty 5 15

privilege level 15

login local

transport input telnet

This is your telnet configuration.Try changing your Config to below:-

line vty 5 15

password *****(whatever you want to keep)

login

transport input telnet

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: