Views
Helpful
Replies

2960 Switch Issue

Amin Shaikh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Users connected to my switch complaints slowness or timeout to application server.

Our Application Server looks ok, users on other switch doesnt complaint..

What is the best tool or command-line commands to identify the problem of high utilization or issues on the switch.

8 Replies 8

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

sh proc cpu would give you the utilization of the switch, but CPU load should not be a problem.

It mostly seems to be a speed/duplex mismatch issue on the uplink port

Check the uplink port status using sh int command for errors and mismatch.

Narayan

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

First of all check the switch CPU, then check the switch log to see if there is any duplex mismatch or any kind of errors.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

The swtich has Duplex as FULL and Speed as 100

Utilization of CPU is 10% to 20%

Is there anything else I could check....

Hi,

Ok, what is the speed/duplex of the server, note that if the server is set to Auto, since the switch is set manually then no autonegotation is going to take place and the server will assume half duplex which will introduce duplex mismatch, which might be your problem.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi

what are you suspecting teh switch ? is there any other devices between ur servers and users apart from switch.

other things that can be checked in switch :

1-Error on interfaces.

2-Drops on interfaces.

3-congestion on interfaces (then u should see drops).

4-test with ICMP packets from server to end user to see if u are loosing packets anywhere.

5-are there any spanning tree status changes on logs.

is there anyway to set speed and duplex on server and hard code it ?

HTH

Sam

I will be replacing the switch today and check with a new switch...

How could I check if a single machine or couple machine connected to the switch are the reason for unstability of the swtich.

Try pings to see if any device the path is dropping packets. then traceroute.

HTH

Sam

Hi,

Can you please check the server speed/duplex issue first before replacing the switch.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: