cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vtp client

vishwancc
Level 3
Level 3

I have confusion regarding VTP client,according to my knowledge VTP client only forward VTP advertisements they do not send them,if this is right.

How VTP client is capable of changing the VTP database of a domain when it is added to it,the client have high CRN than the server in the domain?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hi,

Yes you got it right, if the revision number of its local VTP info is higher it will forward it instead of the low revision number advertisement.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

If a new switch (Client or Server) is placed in the network and with a higher configuration revision number, and have the same VTP domain name configured --> It will affect all the VLAN information on all the Server and Client on the network, the whole idea is if the switch is a client when it receives the VTP adv from the server it will compare the revision number with its local VTP adver, and since its local VTP adv is of higher revision number it will send it to the next device.

To work around this problem (The Revision number is the real problem) When adding a new switch into an existing domain the VTP revision number must be resetted to Zero (As whether it was Server or Client; with higher revision number it will do the damage), by one of the 2 ways:

Configuring the switch as Transparent then Client.

Configuring the switch with another bogus domain name then reconfiguring again with the correct domain name.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

mrmozaffari
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

The vtp clients just learn the vlans ,just hear the vtp messages and the vtp client does not originate vtp advertisements they just froward the vtp messages and they learn from server switches,in each switch you have vtp revision number if the vtp client s revision number lower that the server revision message ,then the client change its vlan database.

Rate if Helpful.

Best Regards B.Mozaffari.

vishwancc
Level 3
Level 3

thanks for the reply guys,but it is still not clear to me,i know that the client will change the database if the CRN is higher,but VTP says that client only forward the VTP it does not send it.So when it receive the advertisement from the server it will drop it,and what i got from the reply it will start forwarding the VTP with its CRN.

hi,

Yes you got it right, if the revision number of its local VTP info is higher it will forward it instead of the low revision number advertisement.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi

Vtp clients cannot add, modify or delete vlan information on the switch. But they do advertise their vlan information in VTP advertisements.

So if a VTP server receives a VTP advertisement from a client which has a higher revision number it will overwrite it's vlan database with the new inmformation and then send this out in VTP advertisements.

HTH

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card