Views
Helpful
Replies

Client Mode Vs Transparent Mode

Amin Shaikh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a L3 Switch in Server mode and now I have 5 Edge Switches(L2) to be configured.

What is the benefit of configuring the Edge Switches on Clients Mode compared to Transparent Mode.

I would be having 7 VLANS on the L3Switch.

Please advice.

6 Replies 6

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Having the Edge switches as Client eases the life on you, as you would have to add, edit or remove the VLANs on the server switch only, and it will advertise this info to all the other switches, with no need to do this configuration on each of the switches as compared to transparent mode, where each switch needs to be configured separately.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thanks.

You mean if the switches are in transparent mode then I have to manually add the newly created VLAN on Server mode switch.

What are the other advantage or disadvantage of Transparent Mode.

Thanks

Hi,

When dealing with transparent mode you'll have to add VLAN info on all the switches, and from the advantages of using transparent mode on all switches is that it prevents switches from ever listening to other switch VTP updates and erroneously deleting their VLAN configuration databases, plus the switch must be in VTP transparent mode when you create extended-range VLANs. (VLAN IDs 1006-4094), and the only drawback is that you'll need to configure VLAN info separately on each switch.

I hope that i've been informative.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi,

Do you have any cisco document link providing the difference of Transparent mode Vs Client Mode..

hi ,

pls check with below link. you will know more about the transparent and client mode.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/vtp_flash

regards,

jack

Hi Amin,

Understanding and Configuring VLAN Trunk Protocol (VTP)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094c52.shtml

I hope that i've been informative, please don't hesitate to ask more questions.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card