Which Model of CISCO Router should be used

Unanswered Question
Jul 1st, 2007

For our administration department we need one Router which will be having class C net work (Domain) and for our Design department (all Apple systems+ RIP Stations) we need another Router which will make them into normal Apple Work group (class B Net work).

There would be one File sharing server in the Domain of the Administration Department which should be accessible to Apple Work group members.So which model of router should i use?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Anand S Sun, 07/01/2007 - 06:14

Hi Zackur,

if it is going to b on LAN, then u need not require a Router, u juz required a Layer 3 switch, either 3560 or 3750 will do that stuff. so watt u need to configure is a VLAN, juz create vlans on the layer 3 switch.

zackur6466574 Sun, 07/01/2007 - 20:40

There would be future paln for VPN & IP telephony. So we need to buy a router which should have the capabilities of adding these features. For our other section we have the 2500 series (pretty old). May be the company would ask me later to link to those sections.So we need a router rather than swtich. But it should be cost effective for the time being. Will a 2800 series with serial WIC(WIC-1T) do?

Anand S Sun, 07/01/2007 - 23:14

Since you say that u wanted to hav VPN & IP telephone, 1ly the router can does this function than the switch, so better choice would be the 2800 series router, of course it supports WIC-1T 2T cards also.

This Discussion