cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing passwords in a PEAP environment

john.preves
Level 4
Level 4

Recently, I had to change my windows password as part of the 90 day whatever that the security folks have deemed sufficient for password expiration. As it were, I was using my laptop that I am testing PEAP on.

Turns out that when you change a password like that, it needs a certain amount of time to propagate wherever it needs to go. Like almost an hour.

Needless to say, PEAP authentication wouldn't work during this activity. I will do more tests this week to attempt to time how long it takes but it was surely too long to consider rolling out PEAP on every wireless utensil we may be using.

I have a few ideas as to how to get around this, but security probably wont let me do any of them.

Have any of you fine folks dealt with and formulated a solution to this that keeps the RF people (me) and the security people (those bastards) happy?

Looking forward to your responses-

Thanks-

2 Replies 2

wong34539
Level 6
Level 6

The thing is we have to wait till the chanegs happen. There is no workaround. Onething you could tyring upgarding Radius or authentication servers so that changes may be easily accepted.

Thank you. This is as I suspected. I found another strike against PEAP today that I fixed with a driver upgrade to the Intel client (thank you Cisco TAC lady!)Using the Intel client on a 2915ABG card (Think advantage).

I lost 6 - 8 pings a little more than consistently, even with credential cahcing turned on. I understand that the windows client thing doesn't work AT ALL!!

I think we are going to recommend WPA-PSK until something better pops up....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: