cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

offset/admin distance with RIP

tato386
Level 6
Level 6

I am looking for a way to change the admin distance and or hop count on routes learned via RIP. However, the tricky part is that I want to change a route for a certain subnet ONLY if it comes from a specific router but not all routes from that router. For instance, if I learn of subnet 1.1.1.0/24 from router A I would like it to have the default admin distance of 120. However if I get a 1.1.1.0/24 from router B then I want it to get an admin distance of say, 130 but keep all other subnets from router B to be the standard 120 distance. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Diego

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't think what you want is possible.

The mechanism that would allow you to match an update source (route map with match ip route-source), is allowed only when redistributing in a different protocol.

And the offset-list and distance commands, let you specify subnets via ACL, not update sources.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Let's say Router B source address is 192.168.1.3

On the router receiving this route configure the following:

ip access-list standard RIP

permit 1.1.1.0 0.0.0.255

router rip

distance 130 192.168.1.3 0.0.0.0 RIP

Very good, this syntax for distance has completely escaped me. And I looked at it for while...

I will be trying this over the holiday. It does look promising.....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card