Helpful
Replies

Multi Access netwrok type of OSPF

caijunjie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Hope someone can help to advice me on the following lab sceranio :

I have 2 routers connected to a Ethernet Switch. Both routers ethernet interface are running OSPF.

Question: Apart from configuring on the routers. Is there any configuration that need to be done at the switch. do we need to configure no switchport access at the switch ? :)

^Thanks

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

If the switch is acting purely as a layer 2 switch then no you do not need to do any further configuration.

Edit - if both router interfaces are in the same subnet then you need to ensure that the 2 switch ports are in the same vlan.

If the switch was a layer 3 switch which you wanted to particpate in OSPF you could make the router top switch connections L3 routed links if you wanted but this doesn't sound like what you are trying to do.

HTH

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reply. I have another question:

1. In what situation would i deploy routing on a Ethernet segmment. Would u mind to help to explain in term of a real life network. How would the router be deployed. etc, is the router be in different states ? how is the ethernet segment be span ?

THanks again for the help.

Hi Alan

YOu would deploy routing if you had multiple subnets/vlans and you wanted communication between them. If you only had one subnet contained within one vlan you would have no need for routing.

You can use a dedicated router or you could use a layer 3 switch to provide routing functionality.

Not sure about your last question about span ?

HTH

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card