Views
Helpful
Replies

SMS on phones

a.gooding
Level 5
Level 5

Guys,

are there any links to applications that provide SMS messages to be sent from ip phones?

thanks in advance

12 Replies 12

dannyleshaba
Level 1
Level 1

The best solutions is to subscribe to website that offers sms web service integration. They nromally charge for sms. You can then write asp/php or use scripting languge to make the service available on IP Phone. Just like you'd normaly do when writting email applications,etc.

I have just used the HTTP interface offered by www.clickatell.com for this type of service. It works well.

never too late for a rating right.

thanks and sorry for the late response,

by the way, how do you configure this to operate with the ip phones?

First download the IP Phone Services SDK from CCO. Then tell your web developer to read it. After that he/she can write you a little application for the phones in about a weeks time.

Give the task to your trainee or student worker, it's easy and they will love it.

Any web programming language will do. PHP, ASP (VBScript/Javascript), Java...

Let me add also that you can download the interfacing instructions from clickatell's website. You have different options for using their service, so take a look at their site.

Site is down :(

Too many clicks ?

Clickatell?

http://www.clickatell.com/

Works for me :-)

have the clickatell site and registered. as noted before, i need to get on as a service on the phone which means the SDK. thats where ill probably be stumped since i have no clue as to how to develop an app for this.

Also, the SDK seems to only be applicable to versions 3 and 4 of CCM. we have 5.1

thanks

Ah, sorry. In that case you need to hire a developer or find someone that has an off the shelf product for you. Depends on where in the world you are, but ask your Cisco rep. I know companys such as Berbee can do it for you. ($$$$...).

The developer need not have experience with Cisco products to develop this app. Basic web developer skills and a very basic understanding of XML will do.

Generally speaking you need developer skills or resources to get the full benefit of Cisco's products in the UC space. The days where you could make your customer happy by just installing Unified Communication Manager are long gone :-)

Sorry to mention product here, but this might actually solve your problem:

You can try PhoneTop Messenger - which can send text messages to IP phones and email groups -- so you can get it on your blackberry anbd other mobile devices that have an email service. It also does live audio paging to IP phones. And price-wise it is very very attractive. You can download an eval copy to try it before you buy.

thats exactly where we are attempting to go with as a new IT company. we normally install the IPT etc but we are now trying to offer other types of features to show the customer what they can do. most of them are off the shelf since we have no skill in that arena but its definitely a great selling point to customers to show them what they can do with the phones as well. its also a nice justification to leverage on the cost of the system.

ill look into it and see if i can team up with a developer and offer some services.

guys thanks a lot for all the inputs and ill rate you guys accordingly.,

have a great christmas and all the best for the up coming year.

PS.Sabir, i worked with you for my initial demos and have demoed phonetop already and all my customers and will most likely go with it. but what im looking for is sending text from your IP phone to cellular . so go into phone services, send sms, user can type thier message via the keypad and send out. from the demo i did there wasnt that capability.

i also ran across a site that can display camera images "live" on you ip phone as well as use the key pad to initiate triggers - alarms etc. i cant seem to remember the site but this is another cool feature as most of my clients have ip surve systems.

Check out our community for open source ipt tools...we also develop on demand APIs always under GPL license :-)

www.myVoipSource.org

Surveillance image on the 7970 display, is possibly www.andtek.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: