Views
Helpful
Replies

Policy Base Routing with IP verify unicast reverse path

laitonglek
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Expert,

recently i was configure the policy base routing on router, but over the interface i had put in "ip verify unicast reverse path", when put in this command over the serial interface, the traffic will drop. does anyone facing this problem before? After remove this command the traffic will pass-thru. Just wondering why the IP verify unicast reverse command will affect the PBR.

4 Replies 4

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

just guessing:

If you need PBR, it probably means you are sending the traffic to a different interface than your routing table is pointing to.

And the returning traffic is also coming from that interface?

If yes, the "IP verify unicast reverse path" works correctly dropping this traffic.

BR,

Milan

Dear Milan,

Thanks for the information, and i have another question, if let say the PBR is take place before the routing process, beside using show route-map or show access-list to see whether the traffic hits or not, any other command we can looks for the more details, because sometimes we dont have statistics to guarantee that the PBR we have done is guarantee workable.

thanks.

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The "ip policy route-map [policy-name]" command should be placed in the ingress interface (before any routing decision takes place) and the "ip verify unicast reverse path" should be placed in the egress interface (traffic that didn't leave the interface shouldn't be allowed to come back via the interface).

Hi Edison,

Thanks alot for the explanation.

Thanks and Regards,

Srinath.M

Cable&Wireless

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card