cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WIC 2A/S

The_guroo_2
Level 2
Level 2

guys just a quick question.....whats the difference between WIC 2T and WIC 2A/S....i know its asysn and sysn but whats themain difference....can i use A/S as a normal serial......i cant get my head around this difference....help would be really appriciated....cheers and thanks

5 Replies 5

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

WIC A/S supports both Sync and Async serial connections, the 2-port A/S WIC supports both asynchronous (up to 115.2 kbps) and synchronous (up to 128 kbps) data rates.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2641/products_module_installation_guide_chapter09186a008007cb4a.html

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thanks for that so what abt WIC 2T i mean its syn so max is T1 or E1 speed so it an be reduced to 128Kbps or not.......so why WIC2A/S....??? u said that a/s can support uoto 128kbps but dont you think syn can do upto 2 Mbps....still confused mate.....please help me out

Hi,

WIC 2T can have upto T1/E1 speed according to the speed acquired by the CSU/DSU connected to it, which can be reduced from the CSU/DSU to 128kbs, but the A/S interface can support a max of 128Kbps and this is a design/manufacture issue, and thus using a A/S interface (WIC 2A/S) will give you a max of 128K, while if using a S (WIC 2T) interface only it can give you up to T1/E1, its a matter of design/manufacture difference between both cards.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

"so what abt WIC 2T i mean its syn so max is T1 or E1 speed so it an be reduced to 128Kbps or not.."

Yes, if you want lesser b/w from WIC-1T or WIC-2T, just make sure you have a Channelized E1/T1 terminating on the WIC-2T/1T and configure accordingly.

Where as the WIC 2 A/S has a hardware limitation that, it can't scale beyond those speeds moreover, its a relatively outdated card /technology and was more relevant when the T1/E1 used to be very expensive.

I hope that I its bit more clear.

Please feel free to get back in case of any doubts

Kind Regards,

Wilson Samuel

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Just adding a bit more value to Mohd's post.

The basic difference between WIC-2T (or WIC-1T) and Async WAN Card is that WIC-2T/WIC-1T supports ONLY Synch data or in other terms only Digital lines (T-1 / E1 with proper CSU/DSU) could be terminated.

If you have had Async Port e.g. (HWIC-16A) then we could use only the Asynch communication only to the interface e.g. connecting HWIC-16A to 16 analog modmes or 16 Cisco Router's Console Port for out of the band management.

Now, if you have Sync/Async port you may terminate either type of connection on the Card and use it, however only downside is that speed is restricted e.g. WIC-1T supports upto 2.048 Mbps or E1 speeds where as WIC 2A/S supports only uptp 128 kbps speed line even for digital communications.

I hope that helps,

Please rate if it helps

Regards,

Wilson Samuel

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card