cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WIC 2A/S

The_guroo_2
Level 2
Level 2

guys just a quick question.....whats the difference between WIC 2T and WIC 2A/S....i know its asysn and sysn but whats themain difference....can i use A/S as a normal serial......i cant get my head around this difference....help would be really appriciated....cheers and thanks

5 Replies 5

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

WIC A/S supports both Sync and Async serial connections, the 2-port A/S WIC supports both asynchronous (up to 115.2 kbps) and synchronous (up to 128 kbps) data rates.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2641/products_module_installation_guide_chapter09186a008007cb4a.html

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thanks for that so what abt WIC 2T i mean its syn so max is T1 or E1 speed so it an be reduced to 128Kbps or not.......so why WIC2A/S....??? u said that a/s can support uoto 128kbps but dont you think syn can do upto 2 Mbps....still confused mate.....please help me out

Hi,

WIC 2T can have upto T1/E1 speed according to the speed acquired by the CSU/DSU connected to it, which can be reduced from the CSU/DSU to 128kbs, but the A/S interface can support a max of 128Kbps and this is a design/manufacture issue, and thus using a A/S interface (WIC 2A/S) will give you a max of 128K, while if using a S (WIC 2T) interface only it can give you up to T1/E1, its a matter of design/manufacture difference between both cards.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

"so what abt WIC 2T i mean its syn so max is T1 or E1 speed so it an be reduced to 128Kbps or not.."

Yes, if you want lesser b/w from WIC-1T or WIC-2T, just make sure you have a Channelized E1/T1 terminating on the WIC-2T/1T and configure accordingly.

Where as the WIC 2 A/S has a hardware limitation that, it can't scale beyond those speeds moreover, its a relatively outdated card /technology and was more relevant when the T1/E1 used to be very expensive.

I hope that I its bit more clear.

Please feel free to get back in case of any doubts

Kind Regards,

Wilson Samuel

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Just adding a bit more value to Mohd's post.

The basic difference between WIC-2T (or WIC-1T) and Async WAN Card is that WIC-2T/WIC-1T supports ONLY Synch data or in other terms only Digital lines (T-1 / E1 with proper CSU/DSU) could be terminated.

If you have had Async Port e.g. (HWIC-16A) then we could use only the Asynch communication only to the interface e.g. connecting HWIC-16A to 16 analog modmes or 16 Cisco Router's Console Port for out of the band management.

Now, if you have Sync/Async port you may terminate either type of connection on the Card and use it, however only downside is that speed is restricted e.g. WIC-1T supports upto 2.048 Mbps or E1 speeds where as WIC 2A/S supports only uptp 128 kbps speed line even for digital communications.

I hope that helps,

Please rate if it helps

Regards,

Wilson Samuel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card