Views
Helpful
Replies

hsrp and loading balance

leungcm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We will implement the HSRP, thre are two routers in pair. one is handling voice, other is handling data. If one of them is down, other router can take care all roles (voice and data). It is the basic HSRP function.

We would like to know whether it supports the loading balancing (or load sharing). If so, How to implement the "loading sharing" under HSRP? please advise

Best regards,

4 Replies 4

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Only one router can be active for a particular HSRP group.

If you want load balancing or load sharing, you must implement GLBP.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios124/124cg/hiap_c/ch20/haipglbp.htm

om.v.verma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Yes u can perform load balancing using hsrp,

for this u have to create two hsrp group,

make the hsrp priority high on first data router for first group and same for second data router for group second.

HTH, rate it

Regards

Om

I agree with Edison that you should go with GLBP if you want load balancing.

What Om is suggesting is called as MHSRP where in you configure the routers in such a way that one router is active for one vlan and second router active for another. Though this gives you some amount of loadbalancing, GLBP is a better solution

HTH

Narayan

haoshoken
Level 1
Level 1

Agree with Edison on his point on using GLBP for Load Balancing.

What Om suggested is also good by using MHSRP for Load Sharing.

Notice the difference between Load Balancing and Load Sharing.

http://networking.ittoolbox.com/documents/popular-q-and-a/load-sharing-vs-load-balancing-on-cisco-routers-2925

Kindly correct me if I m wrong.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card