Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth in device

Hello

Do I want I need to know as knowing the bandwith real of a connection that it passes over bridge of two ports of switch cisco.

is there any statics that help me know the bandwidth of my device wireless.

SW-3550-FA 0/24--BRIDGE--FA 0/24 SW-3550.

is there a way of doing this ?

is there any tools to doing it?

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Pavel Bykov
Level 5
Level 5

OSI layers introduce overhead, so you will never see maximum bandwidth in data transfer. If you want to measure practical bandwidth - just copy huge file over, and see how fast it copies. Or generate flood traffic by using something like HPING. Check the interface counters (use "load-interval 30" on interface to get more timely results).

Wireless devices are a bit elusive in this matter, since air conditions (interference) can suddenly change, altering connectivity parameters.

mark.j.hodge
Level 3
Level 3

There is a free tool that I have had good sucess with. it's called iperf and was initialy developed for linux but there is a pre-compiled version for windows.

http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Iperf/

Hello, Thanks for reply.

Can you told me how do you to used it step to step?.

I have tool in my machine.

Thanks.

You need to have the program installed on a device at each end of the link. For a windows install you just need to unpack, it doesn't modify the registry.

On one device run in server mode ( iperf -s ).

On the second device run in client mode, ( iperf -c ).

You may need to play arround with the client options especialy the -P option to make use of high bandwidth links.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: