cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bridging VLANs over WAN with GRE

bdecout
Level 1
Level 1

I need to move a site server room to a different location (different state).

I'm trying to find out if a VLAN can be bridged over the internet without a Point to Point connection.

The two sites have a DS3 to the internet.

They both have a 6513 with sup720.

Will a GRE tunnel over IPSEC between the two be able to bridge VLANs so servers can be moved without the need to be re-IP?

I found a post saying it can be done and another one saying it is not supported.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

thomas.chen
Level 6
Level 6

Each Fast Ethernet port is provided with an RJ-45 connector (100BASE-TX, two pair Category 5 UTP), and a MII connector which can provide connectivity to 100BASE-FX and 100BASE-T4 through customer-provided external transceivers. The Fast Ethernet port adapters can be configured for ISL, supporting VLANs between Catalyst 5000 high-performance switches, and IEEE 802.1000 TB-VLAN for transparently bridging VLANs.

gearnsc
Level 1
Level 1

Posted this earlier in a similar topic:

I've had a similar requirement in the past, where layer 2 connectivity was required between devices in differing locations. Our solution was to build a L2TPv3 pseudowire between router LAN interfaces; to the switches at each site it appeared that they were directly connected.

A configuration guide can be found here: http://cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00804420e7.html

With this you can setup a standard trunk link between sites, the switches on either end actually see each other as cdp neighbors.

Hope this helps, rate if it does.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card