cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Memory upgrade for 2801

alvaroadp
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am in the need of having more memory on my 2801, I will run BGP on it, and would like it some more room to play with, but the thing is that my local retailer is charging me US$ 2700 for the 256 megs upgrade. That sounds unreasonable to me, so I am thinking third party memory cards. Anyone knows what kind of memory does this router needs? I opened it, and it looks like a regular sodimm (maybe PC133). Any clues? Thanks

5 Replies 5

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Not sure whether you can use any third party memory cards.

But i recently upgraded the memory by 256MB for my 2811 router which approx costed about $1600. You might need to check with other vendors as well :-)

But if you just want to run BGP and exchange some routes, it does not require a 256MB memory.

256MB of memory is recommended when you want to have the entire internet routing table. iF that is the case then i would probably go with atleast a 38xx series router.

HTH

Narayan

Well I still have not decided how much I will filter, but getting another router at this point is not an option. Perhaps another 128MB would do it then... well anyway, this is the only retailer I have at this moment, small town. I am thinking of giving it a shot with sodimms I have around...

Have a look at this link

http://www.ciscomemoryupgrades.com/cisco-memory-cisco-router-memory-cisco-2800-series-router-memory-2801-router-memory.html

just understabd that cisco may withhold support for the product if they find that the problem is attributed to any third party product

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/prod_warranties_item09186a00800b5594.html

HTH

Narayan

jerry.mcrae
Level 1
Level 1

try memoryx.net for third party cisco memory.

alvaroadp
Level 1
Level 1

Just to let you guys know, that I've gone bold and tried with regular sodimm PC133, and it works fine so far.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card