Helpful
Replies

VLAN Info

vijaykumargowda
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I have a small dobut.

There are two L2 switches which are connected to each other through a trunk port.No spanning tree is running in the switch.

I advertise Vlan 1 and Vlan2 on the first trunk link and Vlan 3 and Vlan 4 on the other trunk link.

My question here is what should i do to advertise Valn 3 and Vlan 4 on first trunk link when the second link goes down?

Vijay

9 Replies 9

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Vijay,

Spanning-tree doesn't need to be enabked on the switch and hence will always block one link.

Do you mean to say that you have specifically disabled spanning tree on the switch

can you paste sh spanning tree from both the switches

Narayan

Pavel Bykov
Level 5
Level 5

If it's only two trunks and two switches, you should probably advertise all four VLANs on both trunk links. This way you will have redundancy in case one of the port will go down.

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

By saying advertise u mean to say that u have allowed vlan 1,2 on the first link,is that so.then in that case STP will take care of forwarding the traffic if one of the links goes down.

Thanks

Mahmood

Hi

Thanks for the response.

I have disabled STP on the switch and no Spanning tree is working in this switch.

Both the trunk links are operational and are advertising the vlan info on their respective trunk links.

What if one trunk link goes down?

Is there any way that i can send the Vlan info through the other trunk port.

Vijay

Vijay,

Unless you prune vlans or remove them from the trunks, all vlans should be transported from all the trunks.

HTH

Narayan

Hi

I have pruned the Vlans.

On first trunk port i have allowed Vlans 1 and 2 and on second trunk port i have enabled Vlan 3 and 4.

Vijay

Hi

It will automatically send the vlan info all trunk links carry traffic for all the vlans.

Can u check what is the status of u r trunk links on both of u r switches and post it.

Thanks

Mahmood

Pavel Bykov
Level 5
Level 5

If you want redundancy, you will have to enable spanning tree.

Why did you turn it off? What is the reason? If you want user ports to come up really quickly, use "spanning-tree portfast" command

yes i agree.

you should enable spanning-tree and tweak it to choose one trunk for vlans 1&2 and another for VLANS 3&4

This would take care of redundancy as each trunk will be a backup for 2 vlans

HTH

Narayan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card