cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ciscoworks over a WAN?

echelon360
Level 1
Level 1

Appreciate if someone could share their views on this.

I have seen this software in action and i'm more inclined to recommend it being used in a Campus/ centralized LAN environment.

Recently, there has been discussions to use this tool to monitor some 250 switches we have across the region and also to ensure Switch configs are archived regularly.

I am more inclined to recommend using Kiwi Cattools then getting CiscoWorks to do this.

Your thoughts pls?

thanks

2 Replies 2

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have seen customer's use ciscoWorks LMS over a WAN, although it is preferred on the local LAN.

You have to keep in mind that monitoring across the WAN will use some of your WAN bandwidth so if a WAN link cannot spare a little bandwidth then it might be best to deploy a remote LMS box.

Also, if timeouts are going to be an issue for snmp traffic, then its better not to use LMS this way. It depends on responsive snmp for most of the applications.

You could setup multiple LMS servers in a master/slave scenario. Multiple stations collecting pieces of the network and then reporting back to the central master server.

gearnsc
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have cisco works deployed in our central office on a single server monitoring and archiving our entire network over the corporate WAN with no issues, most offices are connected back through either a 768k Frame Relay circuit or Point-to-Point T1 however we have also had success with sites operating over GRE tunnels.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: