cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing and renaming Publisher

kc-ussugar
Level 1
Level 1

Currently: One cluster with 7825 (pub) and 7825 (sub).

Target: One cluster with DL-380(pub) and 7825 (1st sub) and 7825 (2nd sub).

This would ordinarily be straightforward, but I need to give the new Publisher a new name and new IP. If I build the new Publisher and restore config while the existing pub and sub continue on the network, would I be able to kill the old publisher (shut down or disconnect the Ethernet) and then have the existing Subscriber accept the new Publisher? Anybody done this?

CCM is 4.2.3

Using AD for LDAP

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

gogasca
Level 10
Level 10

The restore wont work UNLESS you use the same name.

So here is what I would do.

Shut the "old" PUB (name PUB1).

Install the new PUB and name it PUB1

do the restore.

The old PUB will the new SUB, install it from scratch and add it to the cluster.

Let me know

Thanks

Yeah, that's what I was trying to avoid. Has anyone come up with a comprehensive list of steps necessary to successfully CHANGE the name of a server? This is a long-standing limitation; by now I imagine someone with a strong motivation has done it. . . . ?

I have had many customers that have attempt that and at the end they ended up rebuilding the servers since it is completely not supported to change the hostname, if you do this you will have many problems trust me...

I wouldn't consider trying it unless I knew 100% it would work. I went through this two years ago while staging a server. After everything was built and phones BAT'd in, we found the IP provided to us was wrong and would not work in the customer environment. Had to completely rebuild.

Now I need to do it because the Publisher will live in a new facility and we want to move it and keep local naming standards.

Cisco Product Managers: Note JBARCENA's comment that "many customers" want and need to do this! It's time for a Cisco-approved method!!

Where is our Call-Manager-version of Jeff Lindborg?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: