SVI & EtherChannel versus Layer 3 EtherChannel

Answered Question
Jul 3rd, 2007
User Badges:

Hi, I'm trying to understand the difference between using SVI and EtherChannel versus Layer 3 EtherChannel. I am proposing connecting two stacks of 3750 (using StackWise) connected together with cross-stack EtherChannel but I'm unsure what's the best method for routing across this link. Dave

Correct Answer by Jon Marshall about 9 years 8 months ago

Hi David

There is no difference between a routed port and a layer 3 etherchannel other than you have aggregated multiple links.

Both are treated as one logical layer 3 link with an IP address on either end.

HTH

Jon

Overall Rating: 3.8 (5 ratings)
srue Tue, 07/03/2007 - 11:08
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

I would say it depends on how you're currently using your 3750 stacks. If they're being used as only layer 2 switches at this point, it may make sense to just use a layer 2 etherchannel...same goes for layer 3.

david-washington Tue, 07/03/2007 - 11:16
User Badges:

The stacks will be used to terminate two LES links between two buildings. I need to route between these two buildings.

Edison Ortiz Tue, 07/03/2007 - 14:11
User Badges:
  • Super Bronze, 10000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

If each building have independent L2 structure (separate VTP domain and such), I recommend going with L3 etherchanneling.

Jon Marshall Tue, 07/03/2007 - 22:39
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

Hi David

If you use SVI and etherchannel you are connecting your 2 sites via a layer 2 link and Spanning-tree will now have to extend between the 2 sites.

If you use a Layer 3 etherchannel then spanning-tree stays isolated within each buildiing. If you have no need to extend teh same vlan across your two sites then i agree with Edison and would go with the Layer 3 etherchannel solution.

HTH

Jon

Amit Singh Tue, 07/03/2007 - 22:46
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

David,

There is a difference the way both the connection works. Although they will have the same purpose but there is the difference the way the switch ports will work.

In case of a SVI you will have eventually a Layer-2 link between the switches. This will run your normal STP and other control traffic between the switches.This will extend your STP domain from a switch to the other switch.The ports will go thorugh the normal STP states and in case of a link flap or link going dowm/coming back the recovery time will be a little high.

In case of a routed port between the switches,you will have a layer 3 link between the switches and will work as a normal router port. There will no STP running on the ports and the STP domain will not be extended beyond the downstream switches.Applring layer3 features like ACL's,PBR's will be a ltille easy in this case.

The Disadvantage of running routed ports is that each port will be a separate network and you will have to manage a large number of IP subnets on the network. Running a routing protocol will be a good idea in this case.

My suggestion for running a point-point link between 2 layer3 device would always be a layer-3 link. But this also depends on the kind of network topology you have.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

david-washington Wed, 07/04/2007 - 00:50
User Badges:

Thanks for the answer Amit although I deliberately left routed ports out of the question unless I'm missing the point and there is no difference between routed routes and Layer 3 EtherChannel (where the Layer 3 address is assigned to the port-channel logical interface and not to the physical ports in the channel.)

Correct Answer
Jon Marshall Wed, 07/04/2007 - 00:59
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

Hi David

There is no difference between a routed port and a layer 3 etherchannel other than you have aggregated multiple links.

Both are treated as one logical layer 3 link with an IP address on either end.

HTH

Jon

Actions

This Discussion