Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SVI & EtherChannel versus Layer 3 EtherChannel

Hi, I'm trying to understand the difference between using SVI and EtherChannel versus Layer 3 EtherChannel. I am proposing connecting two stacks of 3750 (using StackWise) connected together with cross-stack EtherChannel but I'm unsure what's the best method for routing across this link. Dave

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi David

There is no difference between a routed port and a layer 3 etherchannel other than you have aggregated multiple links.

Both are treated as one logical layer 3 link with an IP address on either end.

HTH

Jon

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

srue
Level 7
Level 7

I would say it depends on how you're currently using your 3750 stacks. If they're being used as only layer 2 switches at this point, it may make sense to just use a layer 2 etherchannel...same goes for layer 3.

The stacks will be used to terminate two LES links between two buildings. I need to route between these two buildings.

If each building have independent L2 structure (separate VTP domain and such), I recommend going with L3 etherchanneling.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi David

If you use SVI and etherchannel you are connecting your 2 sites via a layer 2 link and Spanning-tree will now have to extend between the 2 sites.

If you use a Layer 3 etherchannel then spanning-tree stays isolated within each buildiing. If you have no need to extend teh same vlan across your two sites then i agree with Edison and would go with the Layer 3 etherchannel solution.

HTH

Jon

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

David,

There is a difference the way both the connection works. Although they will have the same purpose but there is the difference the way the switch ports will work.

In case of a SVI you will have eventually a Layer-2 link between the switches. This will run your normal STP and other control traffic between the switches.This will extend your STP domain from a switch to the other switch.The ports will go thorugh the normal STP states and in case of a link flap or link going dowm/coming back the recovery time will be a little high.

In case of a routed port between the switches,you will have a layer 3 link between the switches and will work as a normal router port. There will no STP running on the ports and the STP domain will not be extended beyond the downstream switches.Applring layer3 features like ACL's,PBR's will be a ltille easy in this case.

The Disadvantage of running routed ports is that each port will be a separate network and you will have to manage a large number of IP subnets on the network. Running a routing protocol will be a good idea in this case.

My suggestion for running a point-point link between 2 layer3 device would always be a layer-3 link. But this also depends on the kind of network topology you have.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Thanks for the answer Amit although I deliberately left routed ports out of the question unless I'm missing the point and there is no difference between routed routes and Layer 3 EtherChannel (where the Layer 3 address is assigned to the port-channel logical interface and not to the physical ports in the channel.)

Hi David

There is no difference between a routed port and a layer 3 etherchannel other than you have aggregated multiple links.

Both are treated as one logical layer 3 link with an IP address on either end.

HTH

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card