cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading IOS on 6513 with redundant supervisor II cards.

bruce.porter
Level 1
Level 1

Question: Can I boot my new IOS by simply putting the system into the flash card and issueing command router(config)# boot system disk0:filename?

Do I need a bootloader?

Do I need an msfc boot image?

How do I easily zero out the current boot variable so that I don't get a string of boot variables when I do a show boot?

When I do a copy run star, on the machine, will the disk0:filename value be copied over to the redundant sup?

SITSF-Central-Cat#sh boot

BOOT variable = sup-bootflash:,1;sup-bootflash:c6sup22-psv-mz.121-19.E1.bin,1;sup-booten,1;disk0:c6sup22-psv-mz.121-26.E8.bin,12

CONFIG_FILE variable =

BOOTLDR variable = bootflash:c6msfc2-boot-mz.121-13.E3.bin

Configuration register is 0x2102

Standby is up

Standby has 227328K/34816K bytes of memory.

Standby BOOT variable = bootflash:,1;bootflash:c6sup22-psv-mz.121-19.E1.bin,1;booten,1;disk0:c6sup22-psv-mz.121-26.E8.bin,12

Standby CONFIG_FILE variable =

Standby BOOTLDR variable = bootflash:c6msfc2-boot-mz.121-13.E3.bin

Standby Configuration register is 0x2102

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

startup-config should cover it. Make sure to issue a 'wr mem' so the running-config will be transferred to the startup-config.

Good luck tonight and please post results.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"Can I boot my new IOS by simply putting the system into the flash card and issueing command router(config)# boot system disk0:filename?"

Yes.

"Do I need a bootloader?"

No.

"Do I need an msfc boot image?"

No.

"How do I easily zero out the current boot variable so that I don't get a string of boot variables when I do a show boot? "

You need to remove all the boot system flash ... from the running-config. Keep only the one from the current IOS.

"When I do a copy run star, on the machine, will the disk0:filename value be copied over to the redundant sup?"

Let'see the output from typing 'show redundancy'.

Thanks for the help.

I still don't understand how to delete the BOOT variable, prior to loading the new pointer to the new IOS image. i.e. geting rid of the old "boot system" value.

Here is the show redundancy:

SITSF-Central-Cat#sh red

Slot 1 : Active

Slot 2 : Standby

ACTIVE VERSION :

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) c6sup2_rp Software (c6sup2_rp-PSV-M), Version 12.1(19)E1, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/tac

Copyright (c) 1986-2003 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Sun 29-Jun-03 22:45 by nmasa

STANDBY INFO :

Standby up

Standby version:

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) c6sup2_rp Software (c6sup2_rp-PSV-M), Version 12.1(19)E1, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/tac

Copyright (c) 1986-2003 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Sun 29-Jun-03 22:45 by nmasa

SITSF-Central-Cat#

You are running a very old IOS version there.

Please follow this link:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/12_1e/swconfig/redund.htm

and configure auto-sync startup-config.

Are you running hybrid (CatOS/IOS) or native IOS ?

I got the redundancy right = rpr+ (best you can do with Sup 2 blades). I didn't set the autosync though - didn't notice that part, but it looks like it has a default setting anyway. I did a show run and found the following already set:

redundancy

mode rpr-plus

main-cpu

auto-sync running-config

auto-sync standard

See command:

Router(config-r-mc)# auto-sync {startup-config | config-register | bootvar | standard}

standard

Automatic synchronization of the startup-config, BOOTVAR, and config-registers.

(Standard mode apparently covers all parameters except running-config????.)

I am native (part Cherokee and Chakta), I believe. That is where I want to be, i.e. I am not running CatOS on the supervisor and IOS on the MSFC. It is all just one big happy IOS with rpr+, and autosync stuff (thanks for that).

I am doing the upgrade tonight and will post the results.

startup-config should cover it. Make sure to issue a 'wr mem' so the running-config will be transferred to the startup-config.

Good luck tonight and please post results.

Upgrade went well.

I needed to remove some items in the boot string:

router(config)# no boot system bootflash:

router(config)# no boot system sup-bootflash:

There was also a 5 minute outage when the forced failover was done. This couldn't be avoided because the supervisors were running two different IOS versions and couldn't do hot standby.

Good commands:

router# sh red

router# sh red stat

router# sh ver

router# hw-module module module# reset (this command boots the new IOS)

router# redundancy force-switchover (this command makes the standby sup, with the new IOS running, the active sup.)

When you do the force-switchover, you go down for 5 minutes and then come back up with the new version running.

Thanks for all the help.

Some other good commands:

router# Show log

router# term mon

router# show boot

It may have saved failover time if I had full diagnostics turned off.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: