Views
Helpful
Replies

load sharing on ppp multink int

om.v.verma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I have two serial interface s0/0 and s0/1 and i have created one multilink interface . s0/0 and s0/1 assigned in created multilink group.I just wanted to know how frames get transmitted on these interfaces. Is it round robin or something else?

Regards

Om

7 Replies 7

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

MLPPP splits, recombines, and sequence datagrams across multiple logical links. The use of MLPPP increases throughput between two sites by grouping interfaces and then load balancing packets over the grouped interfaces (called a bundle). Splitting packets at one end packet by packet, sending them over the bundled interfaces, and recombining them at the other end achieves load balancing.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

thanks for the response

It meanns whenever a packet is to be send to

multilink bundle then it will break that packet and sent through all the interfaces which are in multilink bundle.

regards

Om

Hi,

No, it will send a packet out if each interface in a round robin fashion and sequence them to be reordered correctly on the other end.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Just ensure that the links that are bundled are of the same bandwidth.

When you bundle 2 links with different bandwdith, the loadbalance fails and ends up having problems

I had actually raised a case with even TAC on how loadbalancing occurs when you have different badnwidth links on the multilink but didn't get a satisfying response

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=WAN%2C%20Routing%20and%20Switching&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1ddc720b/18#selected_message

HTH

Narayan

Hi,

Totally agree with Narayan on his concern, always make sure that the 2 links have the same bandwidth.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thanks Narayan, info provided by u is so usefull,

regards

Om

Hi Mohammad

Info provided by Narayan says diff, it is like..........

Multilink does not round-robin packets. It give data to the links on demand.

Several small frames may land on one link to balance a large frame on another link. A fast link draws more data than a slow link. Over time, the amount of data sent on each link is proportional to its bandwidth.

regards

om

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card