Views
Helpful
Replies

SPAN or VACL Capture ?

pstuder
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a customer that is trying to set up what essentially amounts to a third party RMON probe on their 6509/Sup720/12.2(18)SXF switch. There is only 1 port that can be used on the probe, so through this single port, the mirrored traffic AND the managament traffic of the probe must pass. As I have discovered in my configuration of SPAN, the destination port must be dedicated to the received traffic - no other interactive traffic w/ the probe is allowed. Are the restrictions the same for VACL capture? If so, are there any work-arounds to enable this configuration? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

2 Replies 2

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

If the SPAN destination port is connected to another device and you enable reception of incoming packets (using the inpkts enable keywords), the SPAN destination port receives traffic for whatever VLAN the SPAN destination port belongs to.

However, the SPAN destination port does not participate in spanning tree for that VLAN. Use caution when using the inpkts keyword to avoid creating network loops with the SPAN destination port or assigning the SPAN destination port to an unused VLAN.

Narayan

Thanks for the info, but I think that the "inpkts enable" on the destination port is for CatOS only ... is there an equivalent command for IOS?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card