Failed CCNA exam twice - looking for advice

Unanswered Question

Hello,

I failed the single exam again Tuesday (770). I took the INTRO course online self-study through Global Knowledge which was very good. I took the ICND course at New Horizon's with Element K curriculum which I was very disappointed with. I've watch all of the CCNA TV shows and taken at least 10 Boson practice exams and used their Exam sim as well. The first time I took the exam I didn't finish all of the questions because I ran out of time and this time I had to rush through the last 10 questions because I was running short on time.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on what training materials or course of action you recommend.

P.S. With the numerous CCNA training options available it would be nice to have a clearly laid out path for new individuals wanting to obtain CCNA. Maybe like a best-of-breed products list with a recommended training path by a non-bias party.

Thanks in advanced,

Joe

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
bwgray Wed, 07/04/2007 - 12:01

Hi Joe.

What study guides did you use in your CCNA prep? Cisco Press Exam guides are usually pretty comprehensive...

rajibchicago Wed, 07/04/2007 - 21:41

I do agree with bwgray - the book from cisco press seems pretty good. currenty I am using that to prepare for the exam (have not taken the exam yet). also did you give any thought about the single exam?

NETFAN_2K Wed, 07/04/2007 - 22:35

I am prty sure that you spent too much time for the questions on subnetting. Make sure you practice subnetting until you are able to answer any sorts of subnetting questions within a minute. I used to take 5 minutes on answering subnetting question which led short on time for the last few questions.

Hope this helps.

ndesilva Thu, 07/05/2007 - 11:24

Hi Joe,

Don't be discouraged. I failed icnd first time with 788 and second time with 820. But today, I passed with 951. Here is what I did:

1. Boson is not very good. I used them and I failed. I recommend how2pass. Do the tests in a timed setting.

2. Get the study material and LAB time from Chris Bryant.Review all the notes carefully.

3. Make sure you have a CCNA lab setup with an E-bay labkit.Practice all the labs from CCNA lab guide.

You have to know very topic and command by heart.

Nalin De Silva

ndesilva Thu, 07/05/2007 - 11:29

Joe,

another point: You have to know all the material from intro exam for ICND. You cannot forget that material from the first exam.

Nalin

mulhollandm Thu, 07/05/2007 - 13:24

joe

i used the wendel odom books (the exam prep) and they cover absolutely everything

i also used examcram which were poor - many of the questions were wrong but it give you a good flavour of the style of question and you can always use the ccna prep centre to ask colleagues and peers or even the tutor for their views

keep going - its worth the effort

davenyambi Fri, 07/13/2007 - 13:07

Dear Nalin,

Can you please advice how I can get the CCNA lab set-up from E-Bay. I am also facing problems with the Router simulation labs questions at the CCNA Exams.

Thanks,

David

ndesilva Fri, 07/13/2007 - 14:27

Hi David,

If you search for CCNA router kit key word on Ebay you will find so many vendors selling ccna kits. Make sure you get the cables so that you could simulate a WAN link(DTE/DCE) cable.

Nalin

MykytaPopov Fri, 07/06/2007 - 02:35

Don't despair. One day you will look back and notice how much fun it was. We all failed something at some point, and that only makes its more fun to pass.

Good luck.

xcz504d1114 Sun, 07/08/2007 - 09:27

Joe,

Also the test results that I recieved back had it broken out into the 4 categories they rate you on. This can give you a better idea on the topics where you need to focus a little more on, but that doesn't mean you should not cover and review the otpics in which you did well in.

I failed my first CCNA exam also, personally, I think the Boson software is more of a playful toy than something to help you study. As someone mentioned here, there is a CCIE Chris Bryant that has a lab you can rent from him, I have not used it before but I have considered it and heard nothing but good remarks about it. And the cisco press books are also probably the best books I have seen for comprehensive review.

Good luck with your test!

Craig

sworrell79 Thu, 07/12/2007 - 12:40

I'm in the same boat here. Failed a third time. 2nd fail was 755, last fail was 837. Funny thing is the section Design and Planning I got 80% my 2nd attempt. My last attempt was 40% which is what cause the fail.

Can anybody tell me what I need to focus on in to gear towards the section "Design and Planning" for the CCNA exam.

Ex. What type of questions or topics I should be looking for.

Thanks.

sushk2121 Sun, 07/15/2007 - 10:06

hello my friend,

I have been through this stage. I also failed twice and since then i havent gone for the exam. I was also upset and posted on the same forum with almost the same topic!!

But when you have PROs like Glen here,( I was lucky enough to meet him personally, hehe!)

you will get a lot of good advice and it is damn valuable and if you follow it you are sure to pass the exam. Follow their advice and be tension free like me!

Enjoy and best of luck!

I passed with a 936 today! Thanks to everyone for all of your advice!

When I first started this CCNA exam journey I had no idea which way to turn. Below is my personal recommendation for CCNA exam study, IMHO.

1. Read both Cisco Press books

2. Practice on real equipment or use net sims

3. Use Howtopass.com practice exams until you can pass them a 90%, at this point you?re ready to take (and pass) the real exam.

purohit_810 Fri, 08/10/2007 - 05:00

Who said you to give an exam before coming in this forum?????? Tell me. if you are not really smart.

ok i have on medicine that really will help you. go on WWW.NET130.com, search there paper no of CCNA. You will get latest braindumps from there. testking , choose latest version.

Read it not less than 20 times.

You must have that proficiancy, to complete all 800 questins into 5 hours read.

Just you are looking questions key WORD, you should select answer. After go for exam.

Go enjoy your life with friends.

Regards,

Dharmesh Purohit

dillarw Fri, 08/10/2007 - 07:33

My solution is: read the books and take good notes. Read them in a very short period of time. 1-2 weeks and no more. I recommend the Certification guides, not the study guides. Cert guides have the CE with test questions, do all of the questions till you get 100%. Drill this information into your head.

Key is do it in 1-2 weeks. Then do all practice tests you can find in a couple of days and then go test Immeadiatly while fresh. That is the key.

When you drag this out over a month or 2, you lose alot of what you read and the test will punish you for it. Cram non-stop for 2 weeks and test immeadiatly after and your chances get much better.

mattina973 Mon, 08/13/2007 - 06:05

This may not be the best what I did was ...

I failed 2 weeks ago with a score of 791 after having read the both Cisc press books. ran out of time and was confused by the exam method and sims.

I then got Pass4sure. I practised and tried to work on my speed. On Saturday I passed with 987, and about 20 minutes to spare.

Try it.

Actions

This Discussion