cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter-VLAN routing on 2500 Series router?

jamesd058
Level 1
Level 1

Does any 2500 Series router with any specific IOS support inter-VLAN routing (Router on a Stick?) I have a 2513 running 12.2(29a) which I am trying to create sub-interfaces for trunking and it will not recognize the "encapsulation isl vlan-id" command. Is it the fact that the router Ethernet port is only 10 Mbps or could it be the IOS? I'm pretty sure I have done this on a 10 Mbps port in a 3640 router with later IOS installed. Is it possible or am I mistaken?

I do have a 2520 router as well in case that makes a difference. Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi James,

it is not possible to do that, no matter the 2500 specific model or IOS version.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi James,

it is not possible to do that, no matter the 2500 specific model or IOS version.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Good thing these are borrowed then! Appreciate the information. I'll be working on my CCNP through next year and will need to build a small lab. Would it be worthwhile to have 2611 or 2621 (2 x FaEthernet) even if not an XM model, for things like having a Router on a Stick? I might have a line on a used one. I know 3640's are better, I have one now. Building a lab is not easy nor cheap!!!

Thanks.

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

As the other poster said it is not possible on this platfrom.U may need atleast a 2600.

Thanks

Mahmood

baydata
Level 1
Level 1

2500 Series is not suitable for Inter-VLAN Routing. Minimum you required 2600 Series.

Hi,

You need at a minimum a 2610, which is configured with max memory and flash 64MB/16MB. Once you have that insure that it is running an IP Plus+ IOS later than 12.2T.

The following image would be current and support what you want to do;

c2600-is5-mz.12.3-22.bin

However, make sure you have the appropriate license / support etc. You can find this using the feature navigator;

Software: IOS

Major Release: 12.3

Release: 12.3(22)

Platform: 2610-2613

Feature Set: IP PLUS BASIC W/O HD ANALOG/AIM ATM/VOICE

Good luck with your search!

I would like to invite the person that is low-rating posts in this thread, that are 100% correct, to desist or explain the reason of such an inappropriate behavior.

Good morning, I'm new in Cisco forum; I need to ask about the ISL on cisco 2621: I would to buy a router 2610 (used) to build my lab to study for CCNA certification. I sow the answer of Inzeos781 in this forum posted Jul 4, 2007 where to configure the ISL is needed minumum 2610 with max memory and image c2600-is5-mz.12.3-22.bin and feature set IP Plus+ IOS later than 12.2T.

This is the version that I would to Buy: IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.3(22), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2), System image file is "flash:c2600-i-mz.123-22.bin", (not c2600-is5-mz.12.3-22.bin as Inzeos781 wrote)

1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

2 Serial(sync/async) network interface(s)

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Question: can I configure the Vlan ISL on this router in an ethernet 10 mbit and not fast ethernet, without maximum memory, only to study? If somebody or Inzeos781 could answer me I will grateful. Thank You in advance.

Camillo (ITALY)

inzeos781
Level 1
Level 1

The 2520 in home labs is typically configured to act as a frame relay switch. It is an ideal piece of hardware because it is inexpensive and has four db60 style serial ports.

Very right. Is this related to my ratings question above ?

another good router for home use/study is the 1721 as it supports dot1q trunking/inter vlan routing

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: