cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Outdoor Ethernet Cable, Mesh Radios

hrios
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 150 ft Outdoor Ethernet Cable (AIR-ETH1500-150=) for the Mesh Radios and I would like to know if I can cut the cable to make it shorter and reterminate the RJ45 end. Does it require a special type of RJ45 connector?

8 Replies 8

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

It uses Shielded Twisted Pair (STP)

ralphfowler
Level 1
Level 1

And it will work fine... I do it all the time. Just use a shielded RJ-45 to preserve the shield.

Pity to cut such an expensive cable though.

You can make your own from raw parts from Tessco for a heck of a lot cheaper guys.

I didn't know that Tessco sold that kind of connector. Great information, thanks! Do you happen to have the part number for the connector? I can't find it on the Tessco site.

I don't have the part number here with me as I am working from home, but you can call their sales team and they will locate it for you.

Hi Hector/Dennis,

Is this the part you are referring to?

http://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=390564&eventGroup=4&eventPage=1

Hope this helps!

Rob

His original question was whether he could reterminate the RJ45 after shortening the cable, and of course the answer is yes, but use a shielded RJ45 plug if you want to preserve that function.

As far as making a complete cable goes, the mating connector to a 1510 radio is an Amphenol MS3126F14-12S This is what I use to mate to the radio. I have about a dozen sitting here.

Beware that the list price of this baby is about $45 but I have been told that there are some other sources that are cheaper.

I was ordering the individual pieces including the milspec connectors and making the cables. We were using outdoor cable and ends.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card