cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Outdoor Ethernet Cable, Mesh Radios

hrios
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 150 ft Outdoor Ethernet Cable (AIR-ETH1500-150=) for the Mesh Radios and I would like to know if I can cut the cable to make it shorter and reterminate the RJ45 end. Does it require a special type of RJ45 connector?

8 Replies 8

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

It uses Shielded Twisted Pair (STP)

ralphfowler
Level 1
Level 1

And it will work fine... I do it all the time. Just use a shielded RJ-45 to preserve the shield.

Pity to cut such an expensive cable though.

You can make your own from raw parts from Tessco for a heck of a lot cheaper guys.

I didn't know that Tessco sold that kind of connector. Great information, thanks! Do you happen to have the part number for the connector? I can't find it on the Tessco site.

I don't have the part number here with me as I am working from home, but you can call their sales team and they will locate it for you.

Hi Hector/Dennis,

Is this the part you are referring to?

http://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=390564&eventGroup=4&eventPage=1

Hope this helps!

Rob

His original question was whether he could reterminate the RJ45 after shortening the cable, and of course the answer is yes, but use a shielded RJ45 plug if you want to preserve that function.

As far as making a complete cable goes, the mating connector to a 1510 radio is an Amphenol MS3126F14-12S This is what I use to mate to the radio. I have about a dozen sitting here.

Beware that the list price of this baby is about $45 but I have been told that there are some other sources that are cheaper.

I was ordering the individual pieces including the milspec connectors and making the cables. We were using outdoor cable and ends.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: