cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Session Timeout

jmmerritt
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a more granular way of enforcing Session Timeout for users on the WLC?

When I use Cisco BBSM with my radius server, the session-timeout value is honored and I could set time of day restrictions within Radius for myt Guest users.

However, with the WLC, it ignores these radius session-timeout values and only uses it own WLAN Session Timeout value.

I don't want Guests to re-authenticate (via Web Authentication) during the day based on the WLAN Session Timeout value. Imagine if I set it to timeout after 8 hours (a normal working day), but that user logged in at 4.49pm.

Anyone got any pointers please?

4 Replies 4

bwilmoth
Level 5
Level 5

The RADIUS attribute 27 is used in order to configure the session-timeout values. This works only for controller timeout . But you can also try for client timeouts. order to set this, choose user/group setup > Edit Settings > Radius[5842\001], and type the session timeout value in the Cisco-Aironet-Session-Timeout box. If this attribute is not listed under user/group setup, choose Interface config > Radius (IETF), and check the attribute [027] Session-Timeout for user/group.

I had configured my Radius server to send session-timeout values, however, they were not being honoured.

After rechecking the AAA debug trace, I realised that the "AllowRadiusOverride is FALSE" error was my sticking point.

After enabling AAA Overide on the WLAN security, my session-timeout values worked!

Thanks!

Hi, I have same issue with you.. Where can I find the "AllowRadiusOverride is FALSE"?

Thanks

I saw the "AllowRadiusOverride is FALSE" message when I had debug aaa all enabled.

To enable AAA overide from a controller, select "Allow AAA Overide" from the Advanced Tab on WLAN edit.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card