native vlan, switch and access point

dsturgeon
Level 1
Level 1

The following config on the core-

VLAN 2 = management (10.100.2.1/24)

VLAN 5 = emp wireless (10.100.5.1/24)

VLAN 6 = guest access (10.100.6.1/24)

At the moment my native vlan on both ends of the trunk port to the access point is 2 as its address is 10.100.2.2, which I would like to change to something else (999 per recommended settings). However, I understand that the BVI1 interface on this trunk needs to be on the subnet of the vlan address. Given that, what is the best way to set this up?

3 Replies 3

I am not entirely sure what your setup is. If you are changing the native vlan of the trunk(s) to 999 then all you have to do is to create a vlan int aka SVI for 999 in the layer 3 switch (gateway) and assign the IP that's currently being used on vlan 2. You would have BVI interface if you are doing IRB. If you are in fact using BVIs then can you post a sanitized copy of you config.

HTH

Sundar

My goal of this was to get the native vlan on the trunk away from my management vlan for the access point, but I don't know if that is possible.

IRB stands for ?

IRB stands for Integrated Routing and Bridging. IRB is used to route/bridge traffic received through the same interface.

You should be able to change the native vlan from to 2 to 999 with the command 'switchport trunk native vlan 999' under the trunk ports on all your switches. On the switch/router that's the default gateway for vlan 2 create a interface for 999 and assign the current vlan 2 IP to it to route traffic for vlan 999.

HTH

Sundar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: