WS-X6196-RJ-21 not working on a 6509 switch

Unanswered Question
Jul 5th, 2007

I have a switch that will not recognise the following blade WS-X6196-RJ-21. The card has been fitted into a 6509 switch with sup 720. I have upgrade the ios to a version that i thought supported the card. I have included the show version and show power, show module commands for reference. Any ideas ?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
littledavewhite Thu, 07/05/2007 - 10:27

thanks for this, i often wonder what is the best way to look for supported blades and hardware.

release notes !!

Jon Marshall Thu, 07/05/2007 - 12:19

Just for completeness if you are concerned with the 6500 switches Cisco do a very useful tool that allows you to pick your chassis, power supplies, fans and modules together with an IOS and then check if the configuration is a valid one. I haven't used it for a while but i have used it quite a lot in the past and it has saved me ordering the wrong combination a number of times.

It's called the Dynamic Configuration Tool

Edit - Amit / Sundar - apologies, didn't mean to jump in before you, just pressed the wrong reply !

Amit Singh Thu, 07/05/2007 - 10:34

Yeah the best way is to always check the release notes. Release notes will tell you all the hardware/software related features, supported/unsupported hardwares and any caveats.

HTH,Please rate all the posts that helped.

-amit singh

sundar.palaniappan Thu, 07/05/2007 - 10:40

As Amit stated Release notes is one way to find the right software compatible with the hardware. I personally would recommend using the software advisor tool on CCO and select the 'find software compatible with my hardware' function to pick the right IOS. I find this process to be easy than having to go through the release notes.

This Discussion