cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Q about access-lists

flashsplash
Level 1
Level 1

hi guys i'm a bit confuse about how access-lists works. i don't exactly understand when to use the ip access-group command and when not. Cause what i've learn yet a few days ago from some1 on this forum is that's it seems to have an access-lists activated without having the ip access-group command bound to an interface.

ill explane brief what my issue was if i may. I had conf a cisco 2611 for i-net access bout could not ping the default- gateway. my fault was that i had use the ip access-group out on my lan interface and when i removed it, it solved my problem.

i'm sorry my store seems a bit long but just wanted to give a good idea of the picture. so any help is welcome in explaning or directing me to some good books...or s'thing like access-lists for dummies.

thx in advance

bye flash

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Flash

The "ip access-group" command applies the access-list to the relevant interface. You can create as many access-lists as you like but if you don't apply them on an interface they won't take effect.

The other important thing to remember is that access-list are not just used for allowing and restricting traffic into and out of interfaces.

Thye can be used for NAT, PBR (Policy Based Routing), restricting snmp/telnet access to the router etc. and in most of these instances you would not need to use the "ip access-group" command.

Hope this makes sense

Jon

its a bit clearer but i guess to fully understand it i must play with them, but thx for clearing it a bit up..i've rate this post

bye flash

Hi Flash

It always becomes a lot clearer when you configure it and don't hesitate to come back with any more questions.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card