cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 515E Licensing

wrwiii122
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to get a understanding of the PIX licensing. Is the license software based? I have a PIX that is old and flaky and we are going to replace it. Can we take that license and put it in a new PIX if we buy a restricted box because it is cheaper? If so how do you get the license info from an existing box?

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

William

There is a license key and I believe that it is specific to the box. So if you get a replacement box and try to input the license key from the old box I do not think that it will work. You need to order the replacement box with the type of license that you really need.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

So I guess when you order it you have to send Cisco, or whoever you buy it from, some code from the box and then they send you a key? I would really like to get a handle on how this licensing system really works. The Microsoft licensing is public info for the most part but I can find anything on Cisco stuff.

andrew.burns
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

PIX Licensing info is here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_data_sheet09186a00800b0d85.html

Regarding your question, you can't transfer any pix licenses because the pix hardware serial number is part of the license so it simply won't work.

When you purchase a pix it always comes with a base license which can always be upgraded later if you need additional features, but the new features will always be tied to a particular box.

HTH

Andrew.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: