Views
Helpful
Replies

MeetingPlace Express 2.0 / g729 issue

nockor01
Level 1
Level 1

Hello..

We are installing the MeetingPlace Express 2.0 Demo on an MCS-7825-I2-RC1 Server in our IPT Lab.. We are integrating with CallManager 4.2(3).

Our IP Phones in the Main Site (g711) can call into MeetingPlace Express, however the SRST Site IP Phones cannot call into MeetingPlace Express using the g729 codec (between Regions set to use g729).. SRST Site calls ring and display "To MeetingPlace..", but then go to fast busy while still displaying "To MeetingPlace.." (IP Phone to IP Phone calls work normally between the SRST Site and the Main Site) We have seen this in the past with older versions of MeetingPlace that only support g711.. (The solution there was to use a Transcoder, or just use g711 between Regions)

According to the MeetingPlace Express 2.0 Data Sheet (Table 1 / Protocols), The new MeetingPlace Express 2.0 is suppose to support g729:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/ps6533/products_data_sheet0900aecd80622337.html

Also, the MeetingPlace Express 2.0 Configuration and Maintenance Guide (Table 7-2 / Device Pools) says that "Currently, Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Express supports only the G.711and G.729a audio codecs"..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/ps6533/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008084a593.html

So why doesn't this work?

Are we missing something?

Is this a limitation of the MeetingPlace 2.0 Demo Version?

Is there a bug with the new g729 support?

Thanks..

Rob Nockowitz

CCIE #15410

Practice Manager - Unified Communications

Exenet, LLC

4 Replies 4

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Rob,

I think it may be the MCS Model you are using. Have a look at this note regarding g729a support;

***Use of this codec (g729a) may reduce available capacity or require a larger server; refer to the Solution Expert sizing tool to assess needs based on desired capacity. This codec is not supported on the older servers (MCS-78x5-H/I-3.0-IPC1) in Table 2.

From that same doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/ps6533/products_data_sheet0900aecd80622337.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

I've considered that possiblity as well.. However, I thought that the "RC1" part of our Server's model number (MCS-7825-I2-RC1) excluded it from the MCS-78x5-H/I-3.0-IPC ("IPC") referenced in that footnote..

Perhaps I need to confirm with the "Solution Expert sizing tool" reference in the same doc..

Thanks..

Rob Nockowitz

CCIE #15410

Exenet, LLC

Hi Rob,

I think in the second table that lists the MCS Models there is a second footnote that shows this model assumes the use of g711 only :)

Hope this helps!

Rob

OK.. I've figured this out..

There is a place in the Administration pages to enable g729 "ports".. (System Configuration > Meeting Configuration)

The concern addressed by the footnotes is specific to System Resource Units (SRUs).. One g711 port (meeting participant) consumes one SRU while one g729 port uses five SRUs..

Form the Configuration and Maintenance Guide:

"The total SRU capacity of a system is calculated based on the type, the speed, and the number of processors on that system. You can obtain this information from the following two files on the system: /proc/cpuinfo and /etc/hwprofile."

I enabled some g729 ports and the Remote Site can call into MeetingPlace Express.. CallManager uses the Hostname of the MeetingPlace Express Server for the h.323 Gateway.. (sends calls directly to the MeetingPlace Express Server).. No Transcoders are required..

Thanks again for your help and insight..

Rob Nockowitz

CCIE #15410

Exenet, LLC

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: