Views
Helpful
Replies

7609 SUP32 Actvie/Standby Issue

f-m-s-2000
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I have 7609 router with two Sup engines 32. Two uplink ports are used for the LAN: 5/9 active and 6/9 stnadby. When the active port/cable is unpluged, the stndby port didn't take over. Is this a normal behaviour? How can I have redundancy on the port/cable level?

Regards

15 Replies 15

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That's a normal behavior since the Supe is in standby mode, not the cable connection itself.

If you want redundancy, you need to move these 2 connections to modules other than the Supe's.

Thanks Edison for your reply

I dont have Ethernet cards on the router

can I use STP on two ports on the sup such as 5/1 and 5/9?

Regards

Sure, you can.

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

All the ports on both the sup's are active. Even if you have taken the active port out the standby port should kick-in and start forwrading the traffic. If your ports are configured as L2 ports the STP should be blocking one of them if loops exists. You can setup an ether-channel using the ports 5/9 and 6/9 to the other sup/chassis and should work for you.

Please see the Sup32 Q/A and Datasheet:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_qanda_item0900aecd801ff38a.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_data_sheet0900aecd801c5cab.html

Let me know if that answers your query.

Please paste the " show version " from your switches.

-amit singh

Thanks Amit for your reply

I have only one 7609 with 2 sups in each site

The uplink is connected through Cisco 3550 switches.

5/9 is the active ports, 6/9 is stndby

The ports are not configured as L2. they are configured as follows:

interface GigabitEthernet5/9

backup interface GigabitEthernet6/9

ip address 10.0.0.250 255.255.255.0

interface GigabitEthernet6/9

ip address 10.0.0.250 255.255.255.0

Please advise

Regards

Please provide a network digram for more understanding what you want to achieve. There can be different redundancy options that can be suggested based on the network topology. The above config looks fine to me but I havenot tried it on my own. I have tried using a "port-channel" interface of L2 ports as backup interface and has worked for me. I have not tried using it on a L3 port as used above.

If L3 is not the requirement you can also use Flexlinks feature supported on the 6500's to designate an interface as backup of the other.Flexlink feature is redesigned based on IOS Backup Interface Here are some differences between Flex links and "backup interface" command:

1.With Flexlink, both the active and standby links are up physically - the standby link is logically "blocked" (aka flexlink blocking) by programming a "drop" entry in hardware so that it can be unblocked very quickly with a single hardware update in case of failover.With IOS backup interface, the standby interface is administratively shut down.

2.Flexlink is only supported on L2 interfaces, while IOS backup interface is supported on other types of interfaces. Flexlink does not work on routed ports because we keep the link physically up on the standby interface and this could cause the next hop router to believe that the adjacency is up and black hole traffic there is no such issue with L2 interface because the MAC address will only be learned on the active interface).

3.Flexlink provides mutual backup, while IOS backup interface is asymmetric (i.e. failover only happens from the primary interface to the one configured as "backup", but not the other way round).

4.With Flexlink, it does not switch back to the original active interface when it recovers. With IOS backup interface, it always switches back to the primary interface when it recovers.--- Manual Switch Over.

5.The CLI to configure Flexlink is under "switchport" (i.e. to indicate that it is a L2 feature).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configura

tion_guide_chapter09186a0080518f1b.html

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Thanks again, Amit

Please find the network diagram attached

I simply want to acheive redundancy when the 3550 switch goes down or cable is unplugged. In fact this already happened in my network and the stndby port didn't take over

The router is in a live network, so I am looking for a solution without DOWN TIME

Regards

What is CAB1 and CAB2. What is connected to both of them. Why 5/9 is a primary link and 6/9 a secondry link to a different set of switches.Are you running some routing protocol between the 7609 and CAB's.

As I said you can achieve the same using the Flex links as well but if you really want it to be done on fly,I think floating static routes should be the way.

I can only suggest floating static routes based on the number of routes that you have. If you have a less number of routes/subnets connected to CAB2 then you can simply configure the static routes for both the subnets using a higher admin distance.

For example:

ip route x.x.x.x y.y.y.y 200 --> 200 is the admin distance which will make it as a static route and will kick in when the primary interface goes down.

Please provide the info on the above questions.

-amit singh

CAB1 is cabinet 1. For redundancy purposes, we uplink to 7609 router from different switches in different cabinets. Cabinets are connected together (not shown in the figure).No routing protocol is running between switches and the router. The LAN servers are configured to have their GW as the 5/9 port IP address: 10.0.12.250.

As per the design, when 5/9 fails (cable unplugged, switch fails), 6/9 should take over. But this is not happening

Can I use Flex links on 5/9 and have the IP address at the same time?

Regards

No you cannot have the ip address on the links configured as Flex links.Flex links are the layer2 ports and cannot have a layer-3 address.

I am wondering why the "backup interface" command is not working on Sup32. I will check and come back to you on this.

How is the connectivity between the 2 cabinates. If its Layer-3 also then I guess the best solution is to use a routing protocol to achieve the automatic fail-over. If you want you can also use floating static routes to achieve the same by confguring floating static routes on CAB1,CAB2 and 7609 router.

-amit singh

Yes, Please check for me

The connectivity between cabinets is acheived through L2 ether-channel. We use three FE ports between the 3550 switches.

Regards

Yes, checking the same. Please paste the "show version" from the Sup32 to check the IOS running.

-amit singh

Please find attached the show version output

please note that, the IOS has been upgraded to: s3223-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF6.bin

Regards

I have hust checked the saem for you. The "backup interface" command on L3 ports for the 6500 is not supported, although the IOS command is there and it lets you configure the same.

We do support "switchport backup interface" on L2 ports for Flex Links.

I think Flex links should work for you. You have to configure the ports as the L2 switchports. If you want to use L3 addresses on the interface then Floating static routes or a routing protocol is the way to go.

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco