cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

trunk dot1q within Cisco 6513 and Enterasys Network

reginaas
Level 1
Level 1

I need a help... I'm migrating a costumer that have Enterasys E7 Network to a Cisco 6500 plataform...

How the giga interface (trunk) must be configured to it works?

4 Replies 4

akemp
Level 5
Level 5

A minimum of 1.

Ok, Let me explain...

I have one Catalyst 6513 (my new network) and one Matrix E7 (Enterasys - my old network) , they must be interconnect in order to migrate all the network to my new plattaform.

My question is, how the giga port must be configured? I tried to configured in switchport mode trunk, switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q... there is something else that must be configured to this conection works?

tkssss

I'm in the same boat as you are. Currently I'm moving from Enterasys Core to new Cisco VSS network. The way I'm understanding is on Cisco side port should be trunk (dot1q) and on Enterasys side native vlan or default vlan should be untag, and all other vlan you want it to be tag.

Make sure native vlan is the same on both ends. On the cisco router you can specify the native vlan using the command 'switchport trunk native vlan' command. The packets for the native vlan would be sent without the additional 4 byte dot1q tag.

I am not sure how you specify the native vlan on the Enterasys side though.

For a trunk to operate correctly native vlan should be the same on both ends.

Also the following outputs from the 6500 would be helpfull in further troubleshooting:

'show interface trunk'

'show run int '

'show int status'

'show ver'

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco