Passed CCIE R&S

Unanswered Question
Jul 8th, 2007
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

On Friday, I passed the CCIE R&S lab on my first attempt. I just got the email this morning. This is an incredible feeling.

I started my journey in June of last year. I had no Cisco experience at all, but I started the CCNA. Got that on July 19th. Got hired as a network engineer and got my CCNP in October. Started on the written in Jan of this year and passed on Feb 3rd. Then I started on the lab. I used a well-known vendor's workbook, and the following books:

Routing TCP/IP Vols I and II

Internet Routing Architectures

Wendell Odom's QoS Exam Cert Guide

BCMSN Exam Cert Guide

The DocCD (duh!)

My study routine usually consisted of renting 11 hours of rack time every Saturday, and doing one of the labs 2 times. I would then spend the next week reviewing the lab and configuring any confusing parts on my mini-lab at work. As the weeks progressed, I would take some labs and do them all in Windows notepad. No tabs or question marks to help. I also read the complete command references several times for all routing protocols, QoS, frame relay, IP applications, IP addressing, switching, etc etc. Anything I couldn't understand, I labbed it up until I did understand it.

Thanks for reading. I just had to share my excitement with everyone! Now I just need to get it to say CCIE by my name...

Overall Rating: 4.7 (3 ratings)
alsaqr72 Sun, 07/08/2007 - 15:55
User Badges:

Congrats

This is good news, i started the same process as you did, but no one cared to employ me as i have no Cisco Certification! so i moved back one step and done my CCNA, and there we go, now am officially a Cisco Certified, but am still doing the same approach you did, going to my CCNP while am working and then move to CCIE R&S.

Congrats again and thanks for sharing your success.

Regards

vmzyece1977 Sun, 07/08/2007 - 17:34
User Badges:

CONGRATS AND HOPE YOU TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND OPEN A BIG CHECKING ACCOUNT!!!!

srue Sun, 07/08/2007 - 19:06
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

"...I used a well-known vendor's workbook"

- Mind sharing which vendor? (:

Wilson Samuel Mon, 07/09/2007 - 05:35
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more
  • Community Spotlight Award,

Mobile User, July 2015

Wow, thats a real inspiring story!

All the Best for your future and Congratulations for getting CCIE, one of the most coveted titles in the World!!

I shall truely run the race on your track and will post in couple of months about the same story.

Thanks!

Regards,

Wilson Samuel

jcrussell Mon, 07/09/2007 - 09:19
User Badges:

Thank you all for the kind words. Srue, if you have a way for me to unicast you, I will let you know what I used. I like to keep the vendor bashing/advertising out of it.

Brandon Buffin Wed, 07/11/2007 - 19:13
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

Congratulations! Regarding getting CCIE by your name, login to the forum, click Profile at the top of the page and put a check in the box next to CCIE.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

jcrussell Thu, 07/12/2007 - 03:47
User Badges:

Thank you bbuffin. I didn't have that box a couple of days ago. I guess it took a bit to get it all in. I know it still hasn't fully sunk in yet!

Wilson Samuel Fri, 07/13/2007 - 04:35
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more
  • Community Spotlight Award,

Mobile User, July 2015

Hi,

Could you please specify the Lab Rentals also

Regards

Wilson Samuel

jcrussell Mon, 07/16/2007 - 10:22
User Badges:

I do have it all saved in an email. I spent on average about 35 hours a week studying. Fortunately, my job allowed me to study some while at work.

I think I replied to all who asked. If not, just let me know, and sorry for missing you!

2pparish Tue, 07/17/2007 - 19:02
User Badges:

Hey JC,

Congratulations on passing your CCIE!!! :)

I'm studying for the CCIE Written and I'm using the same books you used.

My question...did you read all the books prior to taking the written, or did you read the some of the books and then read the rest of them during your lab study.

I'm reading Internet Routing Architectures right now and its great.

I plan on reading QOS cert guide next and then finishing with CCIE Written Cert Guide for Written Prep.

I then plan on using IE Workbook for CCIE lab prep.

You mentioned something about writing config in notepad and reading the command references.

What was your method for studying these materials??

If you can please email me I would appreciate it

[email protected]

Thank you so much,

Paul

hharshit Wed, 07/18/2007 - 00:54
User Badges:
mseyda Mon, 07/16/2007 - 11:16
User Badges:
odegbenga Mon, 07/16/2007 - 15:14
User Badges:

Congrats, You are truly unique. I wish I had done it your way. I did it the long road method. Which I didnt regret but your method would have made my life easier.

Congrats again

ross_rulz Mon, 07/16/2007 - 22:24
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

I dont believe this for one minute. I dont think anybody can get from no Cisco qualifications and no experience or knowledge to a CCIE in 13 months. It takes years of experience and dedication to become a CCIE even a CCNP and thats the truth.

tperrier Tue, 07/17/2007 - 02:29
User Badges:

Some people are very smart, you know.

mheick Tue, 07/24/2007 - 06:08
User Badges:

Congrajulations and thanks for sharing this information. I am starting the journey that you just ended.

I am researching the best way to attack this challenge and your insight is very helpful.

Where did you rent rack space? Was it online?

Actions

This Discussion