R&S Reading List

Unanswered Question
Jul 8th, 2007

Without starting an argument about the gospel according to Doyle; does the R&S reading list feel a little dated to anyone? It feels like most of the advice and fetures listed in the books on the current reading list are at least one revision behind the current test. Does anyone have any resources (besides the univercd) that could be used to get some basic information on the updated technologies? Especially things such as multicast or design principles that seem especially legacy.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jgagznos Mon, 07/16/2007 - 13:25

I would tend to agree with you for the most part. However, that being said I think there is a lack of more up-to-date materials which a person could use to study. From what I understand many of the Cisco Press texts go through a "refresh" review period every few years where someone decides if a new edition is warranted. I don't know anything about that process, though - it might just be a question of whether Cisco Press thinks they can make money on another release.

As for resources - look at the online resources that Cisco gives, also look at some of the technology whitepapers on CCO. Of course, when I'm studying for the written I often download / read the actual RFC's (I like to see for myself how things are defined).

I hope that helps a little,

Joe

keegan.holley Mon, 07/16/2007 - 15:27

Hi, Joe. Thanks for responding. I agree that the CCO and many of the RFC's provide very in-depth information about the technologies. However, I like the book format a little better. In a book whether it is a certification guide or just a book in general it seems like the author takes more time to explain the technologies and their caveats. The CCO documentation usually falls short of giving advice and just lists the technology and it's specifications. A similar question I posed to another list prompted me to start this thread. The answer I got there suggested I review the networkers slides for advice. I think there is definitely a problem if I have to do the majority of my studying in visio. ( : I can't believe that they change the test every three years or so and don't bother to update the reading list or print new books.

Actions

This Discussion