Views
Helpful
Replies

Multihomed BGP design question

James Lasky
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

My customer have a multihomed BGP configuration (see attached router A), now my customer want to add a new EBGP link in another site to an upstream provider without having any internal IBGP connection to the main site of its AS10. In the new EBGP link there would be a new network to be redistribed (ie 100.100.100.0/24)

Does it work ? Is it a correct design ?

What can I do to realize what my customer want to do ?

Tks

Ric

5 Replies 5

dominic.caron
Level 5
Level 5

If the new site is not multihomed, why dont you use a private AS number there ?

???

And could it works towards the internet ?

I'm not in charge of AS30... and I'm not sure AS30 will accept my private AS...

Maybe could be a good idea but pls explain better...

tks

ric

AS30 will replace the private AS number with it's own. For the rest of the internet, your client AS will be advertised by AS30.

And what about RIPE assigment of the network 100.100.100.x/24 to AS10 ?

As far as I know the network assigned to a specific AS (AS10 in the example) on the RIPE db is filtered by the main provider over the internet and this could be an issue.

I mean that in the case the net 100.100.100.x/24 will be propagated by AS30 instead of AS10 and this could be cause of filtering ?

I've lived in the past with my public IP network advertised under my primary ISP AS number while also having a public AS of my own. This was a transition situation that lasted 6 months and my network was never filtered.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco