Views
Helpful
Replies

PBR cpu impact

dominic.caron
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

I need to enable PBR on my main internet gateway. I have between 300-500 Mbps of traffic on a NPE-G1 and my cpu is at 20%. I need to send some trafic another way to test a new firewall. Will this hardware support it?

4 Replies 4

a.shaik
Level 1
Level 1

NPE-G1 is designed for 1,018,000pps and for 521.22Mbps in CEF switching.These performances are given to 64byte packet size, so really in worst case. Could you please tell me what amount of traffic you want to add via PBR.

In normal design, it's preferable to get CPU under 50%

Regards

Shaik

I now have around 90K (45K each direction) of PPS.

I have a pair of G1 on both side of my old (and new) firewall. I need to test the incoming policy of my new firewall. The goal is to have 1 or two host on the internet using the new firewall while the rest of the trafic is going tru my old one.

Dominic

I do not believe that PBR to redirect a couple of hosts will put much burden on your G1 processors. I believe that you are safe to go ahead and configure this.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Agree with Rick on this, you should be fine to go with PBR.

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card