cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Starting VPN Client Inside of Remote Desktop Session

support
Level 1
Level 1

I am attempting to connect to my business pc, via XP Remote Desktop, from another computer - in a different location. Connecting to the pc with XP Remote Desktop is no problem, but when I then try to start my VPN Client (Client vs. 4.0.4 & Client Type Windows, NT) my Remote Desktop locks-up & I then have to force the remote session down. Ironically, the VPN Client 'does' make the connection though, because when I get back to my business pc, I can see it established the tunnel; I just can't see it while logged on via Remote Desktop.

Is there a way to configure the VPN Client, or XP Remote Desktop, to allow this type of dual connectivity / sessions?

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Robert

I am not clear about some details of this situation. Your post describes establishing a Remote Desktop session from some remote site to your business PC. Would this connection be a VPN session or would it be a native RDP session?

When you describe attempting to start the VPN client, would I be correct to assume that the VPN client is on your business PC? Can you tell us what the VPN client is attempting to connect to?

Also you have not given us any details of the topology of the business site. Would I be correct in assuming that the business site was protected by a firewall? And would that firewall happen to be a PIX? If so, that might help explain what is going on. The code on PIX (prior to 7.0) will not forward out an interface traffic that was originally received on that interface.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

I am establishing an RDP session to my business PC - from one of my XP computers at home. Regarding the details of the 'topology'... Yes, you would be correct in your assumption that my company is protected by a firewall, which I believe to be a PIX.

By reading your message, it seems my effort will be in hast; due to 'split tunneling' not being supported? Is there no other remote desktop type product that will work?

Robert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: